Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browser about:memory screenshot thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Browser about:memory screenshot thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    Mine (with 12 extensions running on FF 9.01)...
    http://awesomescreenshot.com/0c8qqir19

Off topic- Anyone try Aurora yet? Seems to be a bit faster than FF 9.
    Interesting that among all extensions I have, only Ghostery shows up in the report. On yours it is allocating even more memory. Not much as Lazarus tho.

I am using Aurora already and it is awesome. Add-ons are considered compatible by default now. I am not sure if there is any performance difference between the two, because Firefox 9 already incorporate the latest javascript tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot7 View Post
    How many extensions do you have?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    How many extensions do you have?
    Counting them now, 14.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    Mine (with 12 extensions running on FF 9.01)...
    http://awesomescreenshot.com/0c8qqir19

Off topic- Anyone try Aurora yet? Seems to be a bit faster than FF 9.
    I've tried a couple of versions of it, to be honest on my hard ware the memory savings were very small compared to chromium i'd say about 5-8% and the real-time performance was just irritating - it was slow, I know chrome loads faster than firefox, but it was definitely slower than firefox, for me a silly trade off for a bit more free RAM. I managed to get it down further by disabling things, but this just made things worse and it became very unstable.

The best of the lightweight one's I've used is midori, at 5 tabs it was 30-40%% under FF6 if I remember (that gives you an idea of when I did these these last) but I wouldn't say it's full featured, and occasionally unstable - I only had it a couple of times, but there was one website... can't remember which that caused midori to exit every time. The plus side is that it uses firefox's flash, so you don't have to configure that again.

Away for the holidays atm , but when I get back I may do a more up to date test

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot7 View Post
    Counting them now, 14.
    Leave only one tab open on Google home page for example, restart the browser, open about:memory and take a screenshot. Close the browser, start it from command-line in safe mode:

Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    Choose the option to "continue in safe mode" when prompted. Open about:memory and compare the previous screenshot. The difference is more or less what extensions and theme use of your memory.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; December 24th, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Beans

Tweak the browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers variable
    This variable specifies Firefox how many pages it should keep in the memory, so when you hit Back and Forward buttons it loads pages faster. The default value is -1, which means that it sets a certain number of pages depending on the total RAM memory the system has. You can change this value to 0 (just double-click the variable), which means it won't hold into memory any pages.
    Changed browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers from 8 to 0. No reduction in RAM usage for me, but that's probably because I have so many tabs open.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paul_in_london View Post
    Changed browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers from 8 to 0. No reduction in RAM usage for me, but that's probably because I have so many tabs open.
    Personally, I prefer to lower that value but not set as 0, because otherwise going back and forward will be slower.

Beans
    Distro

I am not sure what caused this, but there was a reduction of 36Mb on startup memory usage on my profile since yesterday. Initially, I thought it could be due to Firefox Aurora, but I have downgraded to Beta and the memory usage is the same. Perhaps they also improved 10.0b1, because I was actually using 10.0a2. But I also suspect it could be some add-ons that were updated. The memory usage difference is concentrated on the js section and heap-unclassified.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm going to link mine, because I don't want to use awesome screenshot, and prefer imgur out of any image host.

http://i.imgur.com/4PkN6.jpg

4 app tabs (Google Calendar, Twitter, a tab to help one of the boorus, and gmail)

one normal tab (vBull)
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    I am not sure what caused this, but there was a reduction of 36Mb on startup memory usage on my profile since yesterday. Initially, I thought it could be due to Firefox Aurora, but I have downgraded to Beta and the memory usage is the same. Perhaps they also improved 10.0b1, because I was actually using 10.0a2. But I also suspect it could be some add-ons that were updated. The memory usage difference is concentrated on the js section and heap-unclassified.
    Hmm. I haven't noticed anything like this with the last few FF Nightly/add-on updates.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    I'm going to link mine, because I don't want to use awesome screenshot, and prefer imgur out of any image host.

http://i.imgur.com/4PkN6.jpg

4 app tabs (Google Calendar, Twitter, a tab to help one of the boorus, and gmail)

one normal tab (vBull)
    Wow, 42Mb just for Gmail. This is interesting, to show people how different pages use different amount of memory. That "I have x tabs open" is not a good parameter when dealing with memory troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_in_london View Post
    Hmm. I haven't noticed anything like this with the last few FF Nightly/add-on updates.
    It was probably some add-on I removed or disabled. I have tested many add-ons since yesterday. I also optimized the profile sqlite databases.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast