Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Menu Kernel Display Options

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Grub Menu Kernel Display Options

Thank you for the greeting.

The truth of the matter is, my machine is an older one, and I enjoy Ubuntu very much. I have searched the forum threads previously, and only recently realized how invaluable the information is. I'm trying to "tweak" both Ubuntu and my machine to maximize my enjoyment.

As I said previously, mine is an older machine. It has only a single core processor, so almost anything makes it seem to run faster.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Save all the files, reboot (without the CD). If things work, "sudo update-grub". The 40_custom file should be executable by default, and after you run the update the keystatus check code should still be near the bottom of the grub.cfg file. (After updating, it will be in the 40_custom section of grub.cfg. If it isn't, check to make sure /etc/grub.d/40_custom is an executable file).
    sorry for no feedback, I was struck by food poisoning...

here are the results:
    After running a live CD, I've mounted a partition and copy everything as you described. Nothing changed / still if I press shift, it says "GRUB loading" and then continues to load into the windows
    BUT there's another problem now: first time I've copy all the lines and didn't call the "sudo update-grub" command. After restart nothing happened. So I've booted again with live CD and looked just in case if the lines were there - they were. So then I've tried the "sudo update-grub" command and I get this error: " /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?)."
    I've tried a numerous times and it keeps popping...

As I understand, the grub must be updated via sudo update-grub command or all the changes in grub.cfg won't be executed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by charliemagiera View Post
    ... mine is an older machine.
    You may find your older machine will run faster if you use Lubuntu, designed for low-end machines.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gesaugen View Post
    So I've booted again with live CD and looked just in case if the lines were there - they were. So then I've tried the "sudo update-grub" command and I get this error: " /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?)."
    I've tried a numerous times and it keeps popping...

As I understand, the grub must be updated via sudo update-grub command or all the changes in grub.cfg won't be executed?
    When you are running the LiveCD you can't simply run "sudo update-grub". The reason is that the command is going to try to update the active OS, which is the LiveCD. In order to update your real OS's files, you would have to 'chroot' into the Ubuntu partition. This procedure allows your current system to act upon another partitions's files. We often use it to completely remove and reinstall Grub. It's the link in my signature line, called "Chroot".

I think at this point that might be the best option for you. It will return Grub2 back to it's original, installed, condition. Once you get things working normally we can see what we can do about modifying it again.

Hope you are feeling better!
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had considered a lighter weight version; yet, my setup isn't too ungodly slow. I recently upgraded to Natty, if I can't get the bugs out of it I may look a little deeper into Lubuntu or going back to Maverick. Thank you for the tip.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    I think at this point that might be the best option for you. It will return Grub2 back to it's original, installed, condition. Once you get things working normally we can see what we can do about modifying it again.
    after a whole day of not sucseeding to recover things to normal, I've decided to reinstall ubuntu...

So now I've backuped all the files again and we can start from the begining

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gesaugen View Post
    So now I've backuped all the files again and we can start from the begining
    Just let us know what you need. We are here to serve!
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345