Thread: GIMP: Save brushes and patterns

Beans

GIMP: Save brushes and patterns

From what I've already read, I aparently need to get root access so I can get into a programs folders and files and move things/delete/whatever. But I have absolutely no idea how to do this (I'm not actually new to Ubuntu, just never needed to do this before) and am worried I'll mess things up.

So I use GIMP for creating images, and I have plenty of brushes and patterns I'd like to use, but I need to get into the files, and as of right now, I can't. =( I would be very greateful if I could get some help on this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I need to get to GIMP files so I can save my brushes and patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by JackalopeSunDance View Post
    From what I've already read, I aparently need to get root access so I can get into a programs folders and files and move things/delete/whatever. But I have absolutely no idea how to do this (I'm not actually new to Ubuntu, just never needed to do this before) and am worried I'll mess things up.

So I use GIMP for creating images, and I have plenty of brushes and patterns I'd like to use, but I need to get into the files, and as of right now, I can't. =( I would be very greateful if I could get some help on this.
    Hi,

I assume you have read all there is to read in this -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TheGIMP

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Open terminal and run gksudo nautilus, you will be prompted for root password and a nautilus file manager window inside which you will have root privileges will open.

this might be of interest to you http://askubuntu.com/questions/11760...-sudo-nautilus

Beans

Thanks for providing the link. Both the links are really helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurja View Post
    Open terminal and run gksudo nautilus, you will be prompted for root password and a nautilus file manager window inside which you will have root privileges will open.

this might be of interest to you http://askubuntu.com/questions/11760...-sudo-nautilus
    Thank you, read it and am left with one more question; how do I close out of root once I'm done with the folders and files? I'm assuming it's a bad idea to just leave it open.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

instance of file browser invoked with gksudo gets admin rights. Once you close the window, you are back to normal
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JackalopeSunDance View Post
    Thank you, read it and am left with one more question; how do I close out of root once I'm done with the folders and files? I'm assuming it's a bad idea to just leave it open.
    Close the file manager and you should be out of root.

My own take on working with files in the system (those which need root) is to copy the files into my home folder and then edit the files as needed. Then when done moving or copying the files into the system folder where they belong.
    Files can be copied without root from the system folders to your home folder.
    If it's a file I'm not sure how my changes will affect the system, I copy the file within the system folder and change the name to something like file.old, this way if the changes I make bork the system, I can still revert the file to the old one.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    instance of file browser invoked with gksudo gets admin rights. Once you close the window, you are back to normal
    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Close the file manager and you should be out of root.

My own take on working with files in the system (those which need root) is to copy the files into my home folder and then edit the files as needed. Then when done moving or copying the files into the system folder where they belong.
    Files can be copied without root from the system folders to your home folder.
    If it's a file I'm not sure how my changes will affect the system, I copy the file within the system folder and change the name to something like file.old, this way if the changes I make bork the system, I can still revert the file to the old one.
    Thank you very much!

Edit: It all works! Woo I'm very happy. Thanks again!
    Last edited by JackalopeSunDance; April 13th, 2013 at 01:16 AM.