Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by pcmanager View Post
    Hi All. Im trying to use unetbootin and in a new pclos gnome hd instalation i get the message 7pzip-full not installed when starting unetbootin. I check synaptics and it shows it installed. After the error message the unetbootin starts and downloads the file i choose but stops after download... I also tried it on a win xp serpack2 machine. unetbootin starts. downloads files fast 731 meg 100 percent downlaoded then stops. No extraction or copy will start? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Try pre-downloading the ISO to your desktop and providing the file to UNetbootin manually (on Windows); do you get the same error? As for "stops", how long did you wait before closing it (it may take a while to extract)? As for the error on PCLinuxOS, try entering the command "7z" on the terminal, the command isn't found right? Are there any other p7zip/7-zip packages in the PCLOS repos, try installing them if there are.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; May 29th, 2008 at 08:32 AM.

Beans

is this a "real" install
    or a virtual one like Wubi?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gnrathon View Post
    is this a "real" install
    or a virtual one like Wubi?
    It's a "real" install. From the first sentence of the first post:

UNetbootin allows for installation of various Linux distributions to a real partition (so it's no different from a standard Ubuntu install)

Beans

cool thanks
    will i have just attempted to install it
    but as soon as i recoot, my computer gives an error screen
    then reboots again

did i do something wrong?

Beans

I've been skimming pages, but have yet to run into a similar problem. If i do, i'll remove this comment (and post a fix link).

I have a laptop with a broken Cd drive and no ability to boot from USB. So i installed UNetBootin, and downloaded the ISO Torrent from http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/ for 8.04 x86 Desktop.

I ran UNetBootin with the ISO, and all seemed good. I rebooted, selected the UNetBootin option in the boot menu, went to Ubuntu, played, enjoyed myself, then shut down. I then by accident went into UNetBootin, which apparently reinstalled Ubuntu. Well, more playing took place, then i rebooted. Now at this point, as i was reading the directions i realized i needed to boot into windows, so i went into windows. Note that there were only 2 boot options, UNetBootin, and Windows. No Ubuntu.

Once i got into windows, it asked me to remove UNetBootin, i did so, and all seemed fine and dandy. I rebooted, hoping to get into Ubuntu, but no bootmenu appeared, and instead went straight into windows.

Can anyone explain what is wrong? I'm not familiar with duel-booting, so i can not even confirm it was successful, i know i did not see anything involving "Ubuntu" in my boot.ini, and the timeout is "30".

Infact, here is my entire boot.ini.
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks,
    Lee

*edit*
    Also note, that when the installation of Ubuntu took place, i did not get any "steps". That is, the installation from the point i clicked the boot menu item "UNetBootin" to the time Ubuntu was running, i did not click the screen or type anything in. So in otherwords, it did not give me any options for creating a partition. Is this normal?

I would though, like to create a custom partition size.. without destroying my windows install.
    Last edited by Leefmc; May 30th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.

Beans

Hi and thanks for the reply. I downloaded the pclos iso to my pc, then let unetbootin use that. I am using a hard drive case with usb connection to the windows pc. In unetbootin, it only shows drive letter A for usb. So when the program begins extracting and copy. I now get the error Drive A is open or no media. Is there a way to fix this. Thanks. Oh if i ever get it installed to my usb hard drive. will it become bootable in different pc's or only the one origionally used to write the bootloader to the usb hard drive or is the bootloader written to the windows pc and just points to the hard drive for bootin.

On the linux pc like you said when i type 7z in a terminal i get the bash command not found... pclos synaptics says its installed but not the full version. what program do i use to install the full version or what brand of linux...

Thanks Tuxcantfly
    Last edited by pcmanager; May 30th, 2008 at 08:06 AM.

Beans

Ok, I am trying to install Kubuntu in an eeepc with unetbootin and document it. I had an udev issue:
    Code:
    vol_id not found. This is required for either install mode.
    Install the "udev" package or your distribution's equivalent.
    I solved the problem by symlinking:

Code:
    sudo ln -s  /lib/udev/vol_id /sbin/vol_id
    Maybe there is a cleaner solution, like making unetbootin search for vol_id in /lib/udev?

Also: the unetbootin program downloads some files to the usb device, but then it shows a button to "reboot now". If I press it, nothing happens. If I exit, grub is not modified (the menu.lst). Any ideas ?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by mendieta; May 31st, 2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the post, since I solved some issues myself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I download the file and make it executable. I double click on it. Nothing happens. Is it because it has no extension? I use 64 bit is that why?
    BenQ Joybook LIte U102
    Ubuntu isn't all that I hoped it would be because I WANT IT ALL

Beans

i`m trying to install Ubunto with Unetbootin.
    the program starts but when at stage 2 (extracting) it stopped responding, this happen at the 7th file extract.
    i tried to rerun it but nothing.
    i suspect that it has something to do with C++ runtime that is not working properly .
    the laptop i`m trying to install on has win XP SP2 but has many buges

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by defenestratos View Post
    I download the file and make it executable. I double click on it. Nothing happens. Is it because it has no extension? I use 64 bit is that why?
    Have you tried running it from the command line and see if there is any output to help you understand more?

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast