Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

So far, I haven't tested those features yet, as I haven't got a screen protector on the screen. I've been researching which one would be the best one.

I haven't tried it either, but I can only see the hibernate option. I believe we really need ACPI to enable suspending.

I'm gonna employ tx2000 tactics to try once I got my screen protector. I'll let you know later.

Isao

Beans

Well it's nice to see I'm not the only one having troubles. I've figured out that the critical trip point problem lies within the thermal module which is loaded with the initramfs, so for now we have three choices: We can boot with acpi=off, we can compile a custom kernel without the thermal module, or we can recreate our initramfs without the thermal module.

I opted for the third option, and it is working pretty well so far. I still don't have audio, wireless, or touchscreen support, but it runs for hours without problems. I have no idea why I don't have any touchscreen support, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get it working. Also, the wireless doesn't seem to want to work at all, even with ndiswrapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This could be the reason :
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/show...68&postcount=2

Also, see the last post, written on 2008-04-25
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pi/+bug/111460

I'm confused now. Is it the BIOS, or the kernel being the cause ?
    Or the combination of both ? Or the new CPU and the chipset (Puma platform) ?

Only once before, I got lucky and had enough time to look the thermal parameters in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/ directory. And I remember the trip point was -127C. So that's why I thought it's because of a bug in DSDT. I think I got the sound only for that time.

This morning was very cool at my place and I tried without acpi=off again, and saw the wireless light was blue. But a minute after I got to see the desktop, it shut down. With acpi=off, the light stays red no matter what you do.

So, we just have to be patient and wait for a long time for updates ?
    For my TX1000, it took approx. 11 months to be fully usable.

Isao

Beans

I am really happy to see this post. I've been trying and trying to get things to work following all of the tx2000 instructions. The wireless issue just about made my wife shoot me as I've been sitting in front of this computer for days now.

Short description - I just purchased the tx2500 and have been following all of the tx2000 instructions to try and get the wireless to work. No luck just like this thread. I too have the acpi=off setting on boot. I put the tablet in a cold place for a couple of hours, enabled acpi, booted and BAM the wireless started working.

I'd be happy to get at least the wireless working and will start working on the acpi setting to see if I can get past that. I've tried getting wacom to work but haven't had any luck.

Thanks for the post!

David

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fbdelivers View Post
    I put the tablet in a cold place for a couple of hours, enabled acpi, booted and BAM the wireless started working.
    The wireless started working meaning that the light was blue, or that you were actually able to connect to a network?

I don't need to boot with acpi=off since I removed thermal from the initramfs, but I still can't use the wireless. The light is blue, but there is no interface for the device. Even ndiswrapper doesn't seem to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AstronomyDomine View Post
    The wireless started working meaning that the light was blue, or that you were actually able to connect to a network?

I don't need to boot with acpi=off since I removed thermal from the initramfs, but I still can't use the wireless. The light is blue, but there is no interface for the device. Even ndiswrapper doesn't seem to work.
    Good question and maybe I got ahead of myself. I just had the light turn blue which was a good sign. I haven't had it run long enough to try the wireless other then the fact that it did scan and wireless networks were available.

I'll work on removing the thermal from initramfs. Did you do that by just removing that from the hooks directory?

David

Beans

Here's how I removed the module thermal from my initramfs:

Code:
    sudo su -
    cd /boot
    mkdir /tmp/directory.cpio
    zcat initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic > /tmp/directory.cpio/initrd.cpio
    cd /tmp/directory.cpio
    cpio -idv < initrd.cpio
    rm lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko
    nano conf/modules
    Remove the line "thermal" from the file (if this file is blank, something wrong happened, post here), then hit CTRL+X, Y, to save the file.
    Code:
    rm initrd.cpio
    find . -print0 | cpio -o0 -H newc -v > /tmp/initrd.img.cpio
    gzip -9c /tmp/initrd.img.cpio >/tmp/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    mv /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic.bak
    mv /tmp/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic /boot/
    nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Now you can find the boot line for your kernel and remove the acpi=off option. I'd also suggest removing quiet and splash if they're still there, that way you can see what's happening. Mine looks like:

Code:
    kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=ba05d9a0-8436-400d-9a6f-f0d041fb94e3 ro noapic
    Your UUID won't be the same as mine, don't change anything in this line except for the bolded text.

Best of luck. Post with any progress.
    Last edited by AstronomyDomine; July 15th, 2008 at 06:24 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I gave it a shot and unfortunately it didn't work. I'm still getting the critical trip_point message on boot at (71 degrees). I've been running the computer for a while and will let it cool down.

I didn't receive any errors when running your options and the boot loads just fine up to starting acpid.

Let me know if there is any log that you'd like to see and I'll post. I'll also try again when my machine cools down.

Beans

Found a few errors in my post. I've corrected them. Please try to run through it again, and post back with your results.

Beans

I tried the code, but had some problems. First, I believe... wait, I think you edited the code... b/c I copied down /tmp/initrd.cpio instead of /tmp/directory.cpio/initrd.cpio.

Then, I made the stupid mistake of not sudo-ing every step, so the rm didn't work and thermal.ko was not deleted... among other things. So thermal shutdown resulted. So i went back in, tried repeating all the steps (bad idea), and now I get a kernel panic on boot for not being able to mount the fs to "unknown media (0,0(" or something like that. No worries, I'll just reinstall ubuntu tomorrow (I just installed it today.. haven't done anything since) and try the instructions again. By the way, thanks for instructions... esp if they work! I was looking exactly for this.

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast