Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox AND Thunderbird freeze EVERY time in Oneiric 11.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy Firefox AND Thunderbird freeze EVERY time in Oneiric 11.10

Yesterday I upgraded to 11.04 Natty. That was a huge failure, whole system would lock up the instant I logged in.
    I was able to boot up into recovery mode and from there I made it upgrade to Oneiric 11.10 to see if that fixed anything. That was another big mistake. Same problem - whole system locks up dead after login.
    I then found out how to install gnome-session-fallback so that I could choose classic gnome desktop with no effects at login.
    Now I can login, and most apps will run... but not any of the Mozilla stuff (Thunderbird or Firefox).
    If I try to launch either of these, the mouse pointer continues to move for 2 seconds, then the entire system freezes dead. No keyboard or mouse movement/response.
    I've tried completely removing both apps and reinstalling them. Same result - dead computer.
    Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?
    11.10 has crapped all over my email access and I need to get it back up.
    I've searched this forum and google for an answer. This is NOT random or unpredictable freezing like many other people have been experiencing - This is predictable guartanteed freezing at application launch EVERY time.
    Last edited by blackdalek; October 18th, 2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: clarification
    Have you got nothing better to do? Do you enjoy clicking links? Then try this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Firefox AND Thunderbird freeze EVERY time in Oneiric 11.10

You can try resetting your mozilla settings by moving .mozilla and .thunderbird to different folder names.
    xubuntu minimal, extensive experience, lshw: http://goo.gl/qCCtn
    blog: http://goo.gl/yLg78
    Linux viruses: http://goo.gl/6OCKA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try starting Firefox in safe mode:

Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    If it works, then most likely is an extension, plugin or theme causing the problem.

However, since both Firefox and Thunderbird are failing, I suppose the problem might be somewhere else. Try to open Firefox from terminal and report if you get any errors:

Code:
    firefox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Angry Re: Firefox AND Thunderbird freeze EVERY time in Oneiric 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by hwttdz View Post
    You can try resetting your mozilla settings by moving .mozilla and .thunderbird to different folder names.
    Where do I find these?

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Try starting Firefox in safe mode:

Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    If it works, then most likely is an extension, plugin or theme causing the problem.

However, since both Firefox and Thunderbird are failing, I suppose the problem might be somewhere else. Try to open Firefox from terminal and report if you get any errors:

Code:
    firefox
    I can't start firefox using safe mode. Whole system freezes dead before anything even loads.

Can't get anything from running in a terminal. Whole system freezes before anything happens.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by blackdalek View Post
    Where do I find these?
    Try to create a new profile instead of deleting the one you have.

You can do that with this command:

Code:
    firefox -P
    If that command doesn't work, then you problem is not in the profile.

I can't start firefox using safe mode. Whole system freezes dead before anything even loads.

Can't get anything from running in a terminal. Whole system freezes before anything happens.

You can't run any commands or you can't just start applications or just Firefox and Thunderbird?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok, I found the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders.

I moved them to a new location. This allowed both Thunderbird and Firefox to launch without problems. However this also lost all my bookmarks/passwords etc in Firefox and lost all my email and account settings in Thunderbird. aaaargh!!

I deleted the newly created .mozilla and .thunderbird and moved the originals back to the home folder. Remarkably, after doing this both Thunderbird and Firefox were still able to open without killing my machine. And I got all my info/passwords/etc back.

However don't get your hopes up. As soon as I reboot the computer, the freezing problem came back. Now I am back at square 1.
    It seems the only way I can use Firefox or Thunderbird is to move the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders, start the apps, exit them, move the hidden folders back, restart the apps... then if I need to reboot the computer for any reason, I have to do the whole process again.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I found the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders.

I moved them to a new location. This allowed both Thunderbird and Firefox to launch without problems. However this also lost all my bookmarks/passwords etc in Firefox and lost all my email and account settings in Thunderbird. aaaargh!!

I deleted the newly created .mozilla and .thunderbird and moved the originals back to the home folder. Remarkably, after doing this both Thunderbird and Firefox were still able to open without killing my machine. And I got all my info/passwords/etc back.

However don't get your hopes up. As soon as I reboot the computer, the freezing problem came back. Now I am back at square 1.
    It seems the only way I can use Firefox or Thunderbird is to move the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders, start the apps, exit them, move the hidden folders back, restart the apps... then if I need to reboot the computer for any reason, I have to do the whole process again.
    Rename the folders again. Start Firefox to create a clean profile. Close it then copy places.sqlite, signons.sqlite and key3.db to the new profile. This will give you bookmarks and passwords. The settings are stored in prefs.js, but test Firefox before copying it.

For Thunderbird, copy singons.txt, key3.db, prefs.js, history.mab, abook.mab and the folders mail and imap.

If you want to copy more stuff see:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_fo...nderbird#Files

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_fo..._Firefox#Files

Keep in mind one of these files or folder will cause the problem, so it is recommended to copy one by one and test Firefox and Thunderbird to determine the culprit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can't run any commands or you can't just start applications or just Firefox and Thunderbird?
    Just can't start Firefox or Thunderbird without it freezing. When starting from terminal the system freezes up before anything even outputs to the terminal. The cursor flashes on the line immediately after the command is entered, then stops flashing when the system freezes at about 2 seconds later.

Rename the folders again. Start Firefox to create a clean profile. Close it then copy places.sqlite, signons.sqlite and key3.db to the new profile. This will give you bookmarks and passwords. The settings are stored in prefs.js, but test Firefox before copying it.

For Thunderbird, copy singons.txt, key3.db, prefs.js, history.mab, abook.mab and the folders mail and imap.

If you want to copy more stuff see:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_fo...nderbird#Files

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_fo..._Firefox#Files

Keep in mind one of these files or folder will cause the problem, so it is recommended to copy one by one and test Firefox and Thunderbird to determine the culprit.
    I will have a go at that later today when I have more time.
    Thanks for helping.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Firefox AND Thunderbird freeze EVERY time in Oneiric 11.10

I'm also having problems with Firefox and Thunderbird.

Firefox freezes on start, displaying only white window. Cannot close. Has to be killed.

I'm using 2D Unity.

Any news on the subject?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jan1001 View Post
    I'm also having problems with Firefox and Thunderbird.

Firefox freezes on start, displaying only white window. Cannot close. Has to be killed.

I'm using 2D Unity.

Any news on the subject?
    I suppose your video card doesn't support Unity 3D. Looks like more a video card issue than Firefox itself. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem. Have you tried starting Firefox from terminal and in safe mode?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast