Thread: how can I access Windows files from Ubuntu through VirtualBox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question how can I access Windows files from Ubuntu through VirtualBox?

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 through VirtualBox on Windows 7 machine, is there a way I can access my Windows files remotely in my Ubuntu machine? Ideally I want a server running on my Windows and a client in my Ubuntu machine and be able to access/transfer files between the two computers. Any ideas? I was told it can be done with Samba and Putty but I need more clarification on that or any other other method for that matter. Thanks a lot
    The best train of thought can take you to a better station in life.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how can I access Windows files from Ubuntu through VirtualBox?

This is all on one computer? When you open Places/Home, is there an item on the left side that says 139 GB Filesystem, or something along those lines? If so, it's your Windows hard drive; one click and you're there.

Samba is for accessing files across a network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

More clarity, please Nick24.

If your aim is use of a single physical machine with Ubuntu in a VirtualBox then you need to use specific shared folders between the Win7 install and the Ubuntu Virtual machine set up via VirtualBox.

If your eventual aim is to run Win7 and Ubuntu on separate physical machines then you will need to investigate SAMBA and network shares etc..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    More clarity, please Nick24.

If your aim is use of a single physical machine with Ubuntu in a VirtualBox then you need to use specific shared folders between the Win7 install and the Ubuntu Virtual machine set up via VirtualBox.

If your eventual aim is to run Win7 and Ubuntu on separate physical machines then you will need to investigate SAMBA and network shares etc..

Thank you for the reply guys. Zimmer yes Ubuntu is running on the same machine alongside Windows using VirtualBox. I will look in to the shared folder option to see what I can set up. Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    This is all on one computer? When you open Places/Home, is there an item on the left side that says 139 GB Filesystem, or something along those lines? If so, it's your Windows hard drive; one click and you're there.

Samba is for accessing files across a network.

grindtoronto, on a dual boot/live cd system yes you can access your windows files from Ubuntu, but I am running it Virtually so technically they are completely two separate computers, hence I can't access any files between the two...........yet......Thanks for your reply

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You will need to install the guest additions in the Virtual machine to use shared folders...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: how can I access Windows files from Ubuntu through VirtualBox?

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    You will need to install the guest additions in the Virtual machine to use shared folders...
    Yup my guest additions are installed and I am able to access my music from my lovely Ubuntu.......sweet. Thanks for the help everybody