Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Elementary OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Elementary OS

So, the first iteration of the Elementary OS, Jupiter, has officially been released. I love pretty much everything I've seen from Elementary from both an aesthetic and functional point of view. I'm genuinely curious and am downloading the torrent right now.

Have any of you guys and gals tried it out yet? What do you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Elementary OS

I would love to try it but what are the system requirements?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by galacticaboy View Post
    I would love to try it but what are the system requirements?
    That's a good question. Their website is very lacking in information, which is a bit discouraging, IMO.

My guess would be that if you can run the Elementary GTK theme on Ubuntu then your system will probably be able to handle it. It's pretty much Ubuntu with a different set of apps and a different interface as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The only system information I found indicated it's only available in 32 bit. System requirements should be the one the first things displayed on an OS website.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Very true, but I am going to try a live USB. It is almost done, I am very excited. I love the Elementary stuff. I do not like the dock though. I am going to change that, docks are not my thing. But this looks like it has the potential to be a great OS. Looking forward to trying it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    The only system information I found indicated it's only available in 32 bit. System requirements should be the one the first things displayed on an OS website.

Beans
    Distro

I read a little more about it on OMG!ubuntu and it's apparently a much lighter and stripped down distro than Ubuntu, so I would guess the sys requirements are less than those for a normal Ubuntu distro. After reading the review I'm not so sure I'm interested in installing it quite yet. Seems like it's not quite ready for daily use.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jonbwilson View Post
    I read a little more about it on OMG!ubuntu and it's apparently a much lighter and stripped down distro than Ubuntu, so I would guess the sys requirements are less than those for a normal Ubuntu distro. After reading the review I'm not so sure I'm interested in installing it quite yet. Seems like it's not quite ready for daily use.
    I actually just installed it. It is pretty good so far. It does not have all of that crap that Ubuntu comes Pre Installed with such as OpenOffice or all of the games. I am sure some people like that, but I do not. It only comes with:

Midori Internet Browser
    AbiWord
    Empathy IM
    Postler Email
    Dexter for Contacts
    Lingo Dictionary
    Shotwell Photo Manager
    Gnumeric
    Ubuntu Software Center
    and
    Synaptic.

A few problems though. I cannot customize the panels. The dock I can, but I cannot remove the dock and replace it with a panel. I cannot add stuff to the top panel such as weather and a force quit icon. I have not been able to put anything on the desktop. But remember this is a first release and things can only get better from here. This is a good effort from the Elementary team. I have loved what the team has done with themes and Icons, and did not know they were coming out with an OS until today! This is a great start, fast OS, Beautiful themes, icons and wallpapers. Pretty good and fast. Great start. Test it out, runs great off live cd or USB. To make a live USB I used UNetBootin.

Beans
    Distro

Elementary OS Info!

This is not a help thread, this is just to let everyone who does not know about the Elementary OS! It is finally here! From the makers of the Elementary themes and icon, comes Elementary OS Jupiter.
    Here is what I wrote for my torrent on The Pirate Bay for it. (I only uploaded because I can get more seeders on there than I got downloading it from the actual site.)

Elementary OS Jupiter 0.2:
    http://www.elementaryos.org

From the makers of the Elementary Icons and Themes for Ubuntu and Ubuntu based operating systems come their next landmark project. Elementary OS Jupiter. A complete Linux Operating System based on Ubuntu that only includes the programs you need. Not the ones they think you may want. This is a first release and it will only get better with time. Beautiful Operating System, runs great and fast! Comes with:

Gnome 2.32.0
    Midori Internet Browser (Firefox is available in the repos!)
    Postler Email
    Dexter Contact Manager
    Empathy IM
    Lingo Dictionary
    Shotwell Photo Manager
    AbiWord
    Gnumeric
    Ubuntu Software Center
    and
    Synaptic

This is a great first attempt and I cannot wait to see how this project goes! I think this is a whole new revolution in Linux! =-] From here, Elementary can go anywhere! I would definatly like to see an Ubuntu Based OS, that does not remind me that I am using Ubuntu that is basically skinned. But not a bad start at all!

What do you guys think of this project? Do you think it will take off or will it crash and burn quickly? Give it a try!

David

Beans

Re: Elementary OS Info!

So, tell me this; if it is NOT an April Fool's joke, then why do you explicitly state such on the homepage? You have 364 other days in the year, none of which are April Fool's day... so why do you state that, today?

Hmmmmm... highly suspicious, and a little coincidental that it is introduced to us now. A little like a teenager saying to his parents, as they leave him on his own while they go abroad "No Mum & Dad, I PROMISE I won't have <Certain Girl's Name> round to sleep tonight.

It may be legitimate, but I ain't spending ~600Mb to find out, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Elementary OS Info!

Quote Originally Posted by glossywhite View Post
    so, tell me this; if it is not an april fool's joke, then why do you explicitly state such on the homepage? You have 364 other days in the year, none of which are april fool's day... So why do you state that, today?

Hmmmmm... Highly suspicious, and a little coincidental that it is introduced to us now. A little like a teenager saying to his parents, as they leave him on his own while they go abroad "no mum & dad, i promise i won't have <certain girl's name> round to sleep tonight.

It may be legitimate, but i ain't spending ~600mb to find out, thanks.
    ............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:"........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....} ............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|............ ..`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_......... .._,-%.......`

They pay for bandwidth, you know.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast