Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

I find them to be pretty equal in terms of compatibility, speed, amount of Addons, and new features included in new releases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3mutts View Post
    I find them to be pretty equal in terms of compatibility, speed, amount of Addons, and new features included in new releases.
    Whether the "amount of Addons" is an aspect to be given importance is one thing, but the quality can differ. Two clear examples are AdBlock Plus and Stylish. Both extensions have far more features in the Firefox version than in the Chrome version. I don't use NoScript but, again, there's no comparison between NoScript (Firefox) and "equivalents" available for Chrome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I keep the default Firefox only because there is a very small chance that Chromium won't work at a given site. Chromium/Chrome is by far the simple and fast connection. Firefox come in third at best, after Chrome and IE10.
    Firefox has a lot of extensions because it needs them - and they don't always work well together.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by s9032g@comcast.net View Post
    I keep the default Firefox only because there is a very small chance that Chromium won't work at a given site. Chromium/Chrome is by far the simple and fast connection. Firefox come in third at best, after Chrome and IE10.
    Firefox has a lot of extensions because it needs them - and they don't always work well together.
    Wait what lol?

IE10? XD

Go use Windows you silly person.

I personally have always hated the entire IE experience. I've been a heavy duty Google Chrome user, and the ONLY thing that was better about it was some new features.

Firefox has many many more benefits. And I do not support an Open OS turning to the Spy State browser as its default. The metrics problem at Google is terrible, and getting to the point of being criminal.

Make Chrome the default Ubuntu browser if you support surveillance states.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Whether the "amount of Addons" is an aspect to be given importance is one thing, but the quality can differ. Two clear examples are AdBlock Plus and Stylish. Both extensions have far more features in the Firefox version than in the Chrome version...
    ... however, I'm seriously thinking of using chromium (already installed) instead of firefox because adblock plus is no longer working for me with firefox, and it's the main reason I use it. I'm also sick of ff getting steadily slower every new version since v.5.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sayer View Post
    ... however, I'm seriously thinking of using chromium (already installed) instead of firefox because adblock plus is no longer working for me with firefox, and it's the main reason I use it. I'm also sick of ff getting steadily slower every new version since v.5.
    If that is your experience, you should certainly use chromium.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Just make it easy to uninstall and I am happy.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser
    Easy enough?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mills View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser
    Easy enough?
    Not quite. Try to do that with iceweasel in Debian or Konqueror in Kubuntu, it will remove half of your desktop. My point is that I don't care if Chromium is default as long as I can remove it easily WITHOUT GETTING INTO DEPENDECY PROBLEMS. Is that clear enough?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Not quite. Try to do that with iceweasel in Debian or Konqueror in Kubuntu, it will remove half of your desktop. My point is that I don't care if Chromium is default as long as I can remove it easily WITHOUT GETTING INTO DEPENDECY PROBLEMS. Is that clear enough?
    Konqueror isn't just a browser so the analogy may not be appropriate. I've installed and purged (not removed) several browsers several times without dependency issues. Here I'm using "dependency" in a very restricted sense.

There's one interesting point to note. And that is that the "system" will insist that you have a browser that it (the system) recognizes. So let's say we talking about a distro that comes with just Browser_A. If we try to remove or purge Browser_A using apt-get, the system will automatically inform us that it's going to install Browser_B in Browser_A's place. I wrote a bit about it here in the context of Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You have to remove it? why? is your hard drive that small?
    All you have to do is is point your mouse at it, right click (remove from favorites) you will never have to see it again...

Then install your browser of choice and pin it to the unity dock...

What is this obsession some have that they must un-install something they don't use... I don't use Libre Office nor do i use Firefox (i install Chrome which is MY favorite)... but i don't uninstall them...
    I think hard drives these days are kinda large these days, aren't they...

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast