Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu install without desktop?

Beans

Ubuntu install without desktop?

Hi. I have two questions.

I am going to be attempting to restore an old Pentium 3 for back in the day, these things ran like windows 95', maybe some less modern even. Also there is a lot of, shall we say wear-and-tear on these boxes I have too. So, what I need to know is

Can I install Ubuntu without a graphical environment? Because I'm not entirely sure if these things can even run one. Can/How do I do this?

Also, if that actually works, can I install a lightweight desktop environment after the cli install? I would like to try and get LXDE running. How would I do that?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm not sure this is in the right section, but I thought it should be a fairly simple thing to do (to find the .iso atleast)
    It felt like judgment, but it was only rain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu install without desktop?

ubuntu serever edition doesn't come with a graphical environment you could just remove the server apps you don't need also i hear lubuntu is a lightweight desktop never used it myself though

or the other optin is to buid up a custom distro not sure how you would do that though that's beyond my knowledge
    The best things in life are free

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Sure, just download and install the MinimalCD and do a cli install and add to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have a look here :-
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubunt...ative-download

The ubuntu-11.04-alternate-i386.iso can run a non-graphical installer but install normal desktop versions.

The ubuntu-11.04-server-i386.iso can be used to install a with no desktop at all. Then it would be up to you to set up a graphical environment.

I'd try the first, first. The later is quite a trial. You don't mention how much RAM the old box has? That will be the main parameter to limit what will run OK or not. I have in the past ran Ubuntu Desktop Edition on old boxes with 512MB of ram and it been usable for web browsing/email.
    Laptop: Ubuntu 14.04 / Compaq CQ61 / Intel chipset
    Desktop box: dead...
    Media Server Box: Hardy Server / Athlon 1.4GHz / 1GB RAM / Headless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jfed View Post
    I am going to be attempting to restore an old Pentium 3 for back in the day, these things ran like windows 95', maybe some less modern even.
    Please post the Hardware Details of your machine.

Can I install Ubuntu without a graphical environment? Because I'm not entirely sure if these things can even run one. Can/How do I do this?
    Yes, you can but before you rush into this approach, there are some steps to be taken into consideration. Again, please post your Hardware Details.

There are many Lightweight Linux Distributions. Lubuntu is definitely one of the best choices. If that didn't help, antiX, SliTaz and some other distributions might be helpful but keep in mind that you'll get the best support if you go for Lubuntu. AntiX has a perfect support on their forum too. Tried Slitaz but you'll have to do some extra work to get some drivers, etc. Slitaz is 30MB OS ONLY so don't expect very much. However, Slitaz will dazzle you

Also, if that actually works, can I install a lightweight desktop environment after the cli install? I would like to try and get LXDE running. How would I do that?
    Yes but before telling you how, please refer to my above paragraphs

P.S. I'm not sure this is in the right section, but I thought it should be a fairly simple thing to do (to find the .iso atleast)
    It's the right section so don't worry

Edit:
    I have installed Mint LXDE on P2 @ 366MHz with 64MB RAM on a broken HP Laptop I guess it's from 1999 or 1998 and it worked. Didn't even have to go the alternate CD approach.
    Last edited by amjjawad; August 28th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Beans

Ubuntu with Windows 7 and creating DAW for use with Ubuntu

Hello good forum,

This is my first post. I recently installed Ubuntu along with windows 7 on a laptop. I don't have to use my CD but I know it's not a full version of Ubuntu that I installed. Perhaps this is not the right area to post this, as it's not specifically related to the first thread. It may be that someone can help though. (:

i burned the ISO from the home site to disk and installed. all is working well; however, i have a few questions:

if this is a limited version, what things would i not be able to do?
    i'm having trouble gaining root (if i use the su, or sudo commands) i receive an error message

i don't see how to mnt my C drive which has some windows files i'd like access to from the command line-when i switch to the /mnt folder, i do not see any drives listed after doing a ls command
    will it be much easier if i completely switch my laptop over to Ubuntu?
    I don't like 7 at all and i've lost my installation cd for XP

Seeking and open to suggestions:
    I'd like to switch completely over to Ubuntu. I have a laptop with Windows 7 on it, a desktop full of viruses with XP on it (without the installation cd) dua processor decent desktop once i get the viruses off) and a much older desktop. I was thinking of creating a home network for the learning experience and maybe as a server for online gaming etc

i actually would love to have a linux system set up as a Digital Recording Workstation. I have (hardware-Mbox 2 pro) and Pro Tools LE 7 (older version) and Reason 4.0
    I read about WINE but haven't to use it
    i'm looking at using Reason Record, Reason and Recycle and possibly buying another ASIO device considering if i sell my Mbox 2 Pro
    what ASIO devices work best with Ubuntu?

so my main question is what would you suggest i do about my little situation.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu with Windows 7 and creating DAW for use with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arlen_audio93 View Post
    i'm having trouble gaining root (if i use the su, or sudo commands) i receive an error message.
    i'm actually able to issue the su command but get an error after entering the password
    i guess this means i've forgotten my root password ?

do i have to reload and select Ubuntu to have access to the gui and command line because of this type of installation?

i guess i should consider what programs and all i'll miss in 7 before switching over completely. i cannot think of anything in particular (:
    Pro Tools LE 7 and the hardware I have doesn't work with Windows 7 anyhow
    only was able to use my MIDI controller with Reason 4.0

you know some say the best way to fix windows is
    format C:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu with Windows 7 and creating DAW for use with Ubuntu

arlen_audio93,

Please, start your own thread. You are confusing this thread and to get better help, start your own thread in here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

Thanks for your understanding

Beans

amjjawad, I don't exactly have the hardware specs nor do I have any way of aquireing them, seriously though these things are dinosaurs, I don't think the specs even matter when they're this old haha

also I haven't tried anything because I was unable to find a vga cable to plug into the machines but i will be trying a few suggestions soon, and i'll let you know how it goes
    It felt like judgment, but it was only rain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can use the alternate installation cd. That gives an option of installing a "Command Line System" which will be without graphics. If you want something light, then you might try Lubuntu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast