Thread: How To Add Video To iPod Classic

Beans

How To Add Video To iPod Classic

I just got myself a 160GB iPod classic and I'm just curious how to get video onto it. I tried adding a m4v video file to banshee but when I tried syncing the video to my iPod in banshee I get an error message saying something like the file is not supported on the device and that it couldn't be converted. What should I try to do. By the way I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu, which is 13.04. I've tried gtkpod too but when I sync a movie it ends up in my music as an audio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How To Add Video To iPod Classic

Have a look at Arista Transcoder, it has pre-sets for iPods etc. and you can download or create more.
    http://www.transcoder.org/

Beans

I downloaded arista and converted an avi video to the preset for iPod classic, which turned out to be m4v. I then added the converted m4v file to banshee and synced it to my iPod classic and I still got the same error message.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry I cannot help any more because I don't have an iPod. Hopefully someone else will reply.
    The only thing that I can think of is that 13.04 does not have ffmpeg, it uses avconv instead.

Beans

I added ffmpeg and I still got the error message when I tried to add an m4v file to my ipod using banshee. If you don't use an iPod what mp3 player do you use to listen to music. Perhaps I should try something other then an iPod.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalDreamer59 View Post
    If you don't use an iPod what mp3 player do you use to listen to music.
    The only mp3 player I have is in my phone but I don't use it. (a basic Nokia C1-01)
    I never got into the habit of wandering around with headphones on, I prefer to hear my surroundings.
    At home I listen to the radio, internet radio or CDs. Call me old fashioned
    I'm surprised that no-one else has responded to your problem, this should bump you the top again!

Beans

I don't have one of these devices, but you can try this:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vf "scale=320:trunc(ow/a/2)*2,format=yuv420p" -codec:v libx264 -preset fast -profile:v baseline -level 13 -crf 28 -codec:a aac -b:a 128k -strict experimental -metadata title="1984 Bonk-the-Weasel Idaho State Tournament" output.mp4
    You can change "320" to "640" if you plan on connecting the iPod to an external device like a TV to view the video. Control encoding speed with "-preset" and quality with "-crf" as shown at the FFmpeg and x264 Encoding Guide, and of course you can change the title or omit that.

This example probably uses more recent syntax for the so-called "ffmpeg" package in the repository, but you can easily use a ffmpeg build (just download, extract, and run [instructions]) or follow a step-by-step guide to compile ffmpeg.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; July 3rd, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

1984 Bonk-the-Weasel Idaho State Tournament
    Hey Fakeoutdoorsman, I think your copy/paste window was too short! LOL
    Now that you have changed avatar what was that guy holding? A quadrophonic decoder?

Beans

Now I remember is was actually called "Whac-a-Mole", not "Bonk-the-Weasel".

I believe it was a VCR.