Page 102 of 138 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Yes, it is as I have thought. There is no need to re-create the directories, they are already there. Even if they are not, it is a pointless thing to do so I think.

And for the /dev and /sys, SURE you can exclude both, it would be a kind of a CrazyThing not to. It is much better to leave that out and there will be NO problem with that.

What I don't get is why nobody noticed in all the thread.

Well, a good guide anyway.

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by danerben View Post
    What I don't get is why nobody noticed in all the thread.
    That might be because it is not entirely true; when you exclude some directory from tar it ought to be done so that you exclude <dir>/* ( note the /* in the end; it is because if you delete something it is impossible to be sure that you create new one with the same rights and so on. If you exlude dir without /* you can undo some of the damage by re-creating directories but that is not the correct way).

Beans

Perhaps you guys could consider using Remastersys to make backing up and restoring a system ridiculously easy!! You can use backup mode to backup your /home directory, too... or you can use dist mode (like me) to make a customizable distro that can be installed on any machine!!

Here's some ideas and hints on how to tweak Ubuntu to your liking once and for all...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073838
    -OR-
    http://geekconnection.org/remastersy...hp?topic=406.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cool Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

hi,

i have not read all 100+ pages for this thread. but i like the thread and the tutorial.

i tried option 1 with gzip. i got this error eventhough i don't think that i ran out of disk space.
    gzip: stdout: No space left on device
    the file size is showing...
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7548760064 2010-02-28 19:53 backup.tgz
    showing .85tb free without the file but the file is only .75tb.

is backup.tgz good? i am moving it to a external drive to perhaps see if it will unpack there.

like you i am considering the application of divide and conquer here by doing two backups one of /home and the other excluding /home in the hopes that i can get a clean finish or at least a finish with the inconsequential error you reported.

please advise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Heliode View Post
    Code:
    tar cvpjf backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
    Hello everybody,
    I suggest using --one-file-system instead of several "--exclude".
    for example:
    Code:
    sudo tar --one-file-system -cvzf /backup.tgz --exclude=/backup*.tgz --exclude=/lost+found /
    sudo tar --one-file-system -cvzf /backup-home.tgz --exclude=/backup*.tgz --exclude=/lost+found /home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

hi,

i have divided the job into two parts the first part excluded /home.

i started the process with this...
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/home /
    it finished with this...

/root/Mail/new/1266532568.V801I1131beM524999.bubba
    /root/Mail/tmp/
    /root/Mail/cur/
    /root/.bashrc
    /root/.bash_history
    /root/index.html
    /root/.fwc_xml
    /root/.ssh/
    /root/.ssh/known_hosts
    /opt/
    tar: /: file changed as we read it
    bubba:/#
    backup.tgz is .579tb.

i am now proceeding to backup /home with the line...
    tar cvpzf homebackup.tgz --exclude=/home/homebackup.tgz --exclude=/home/lost+found --exclude=/home/storage /home
    i think that this will take longer time to complete though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I backed up Ubuntu to my Windows HD and ended up with a .ful file plus a few .inc files on subsequent dates. How do I restore this? It is an archive and I can read the contents but I can't remember how I created it in the first place.

Ubuntu was installed on a usb stick but got corrupted since I made this backup. I'm logging in to Ubuntu from my installation CD. I'm guessing I need to reinstall Ubuntu onto the stick first and then do a restore?

Alan
    Last edited by asharpham; March 3rd, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the tutorial!

One question...

I'd like to find a way to make this process easy, so I made a script that copies the backup file to another partition called share.

Code:
    tar cvpzf /media/share_/UbuntuBackup3-3-2010.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/media/share_ --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
    I'm wondering if there is a way to change the date automatically, perhaps with something like: UbuntuBackup%date%.tgz

Is there a way to do this so the script will automatically append the date to the end of the backup file?

Thanks in advance for any help!

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you don't use --one-file-system then you will want to exclude /proc, /sys, and /dev since they are all not real files on disk. They are created by the kernel in memory only so there is no need to back them up ( and trying to restore them later can cause serious problems ). You also will want to exclude /media if you have any other media mounted that you do not want backed up.

To put the date in the name you want something like:

Code:
    tar czf backup-`date +%F`.tgz /
    Those are back ticks by the way, not single quotes.

Beans

Thanks!

Ok, so I have:

Code:
    tar --one-file-system -cvpzf /media/share_/UbuntuBackup`date +%F`.tgz --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/media --exclude=/mnt /
    Look good? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Page 102 of 138 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast