Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missing window borders/title bars

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Missing window borders/title bars

Oooh - I just fixed my install!!!

I'm a bit of a linux noob but as you can see from my last post I was struggling with a similar problem, and tried all the suggestions (ended up with KDE installed too just to try and get mi titlebars back)...

I eventually found that in my start-up programs, an app called "Devilspie" was selected to initialise with the system... apperently its a utility for simplyfing the display to multiple monitors.... I don't remember installing anything like this so I'm not sure where it came from, or if it was just something I clicked as an option somewhere...

Anyway, long-story short, removed that from the startup processes "SYSTEM>Preferences>Startup Applications" and restarted the computer, and now I've got title bars again!

Last edited by MugOTea; September 25th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Hmmm... I think I may know this one Herbert.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by MugOTea View Post
    Oooh - I just fixed my install!!!

I'm a bit of a linux noob but as you can see from my last post I was struggling with a similar problem, and tried all the suggestions (ended up with KDE installed too just to try and get mi titlebars back)...

I eventually found that in my start-up programs, an app called "Devilspie" was selected to initialise with the system... apperently its a utility for simplyfing the display to multiple monitors.... I don't remember installing anything like this so I'm not sure where it came from, or if it was just something I clicked as an option somewhere...

Anyway, long-story short, removed that from the startup processes "SYSTEM>Preferences>Startup Applications" and restarted the computer, and now I've got title bars again!

I didn't have an app called Devilspie in my startup applications. And it's not listed in the processes that are running either.

Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    The window manager is what gives your your functionality. A window decorator is exactly what it sounds like. Traditionally, they would be one in the same but compiz kind of throws that simplicity out the window:

compiz-gnome includes the, "gtk window decorator", which is fancy way of saying it inherits Metacity's appearance but it's still using compiz for management.

If, using the fusion-icon, you choose the gtk-window-decorator, instead of emerald, and play around with all the other options fusion-icon exposes, and still can't get compiz working properly, we can pretty much rule out this train of thought.

The next thing to try will be to stop compiz, rename the $HOME/.config/compiz directory to $HOME/.config/compiz_bkp, then try starting compiz again.
    I tried this but it didn't make any difference. Still no borders.
    http://megaloler.site90.com/, not that you care.

Beans

Try initialising compiz from a terminal and pasting the output here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Install and go into CompizConfig Settings Manager. Go to Effects, Windows Decoration. Make sure it's enabled and that

Code:
    /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
    Is in the command field. This worked for me!
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by raptormanad View Post
    Install and go into CompizConfig Settings Manager. Go to Effects, Windows Decoration. Make sure it's enabled and that

Code:
    /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
    Is in the command field. This worked for me!
    I did that, and now it says desktop effects can't be enabled.

Beans

Having metacity compositing manager enabled would cause me these sorts of problems when switching window managers.
    To disable:In gconf-editor
    /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager and untick.
    For me, with it disabled the compiz --replace works without error.
    Last edited by stinkeye; October 27th, 2009 at 02:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Having metacity compositing manager enabled would cause me these sorts of problems when switching window managers.
    To disable:In gconf-editor
    /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager and untick.
    For me, with it disabled the compiz --replace works without error.
    I looked and it is unchecked already.

EDIT: It's fixed! Upgrading to Karmic fixed the windows! yay!
    Last edited by MegaLoler; October 31st, 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123