Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux version of WordPerfect Office

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux version of WordPerfect Office

I purchased the CD from ebay, but it says there are libraries missing, etc. that I don't quite understand. I have a lot of documents in WP format and WP has a search and replace that Libre Office can't match.

Does anyone know how to install Corel WP Office 8 for Linux in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Linux version of WordPerfect Office

Sorry to tell you this, but you may not be able to get that working. WordPerfect for Linux was discontinued in 2005.

The faq linked has answers to many common questions: http://linuxmafia.com/wpfaq/
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I'd try an older Linux distribution like RedHat/CentOS 3 or 4. Here's a link to the CentOS 4 downloadable ISOs. You might consider installing VirtualBox on your machine (following these instructions), then creating a CentOS4 virtual machine to run WordPerfect in.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

WP Office 8 for Linux didn't really work all that great in its heyday. I have a copy of it around here somewhere. There is an 'Alternate Find/Replace' extension for LibreOffice that might make it quite adequate for your needs.

Alternative dialog Find & Replace for Writer (AltSearch)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I'd try an older Linux distribution like RedHat/CentOS 3 or 4. Here's a link to the CentOS 4 downloadable ISOs. You might consider installing VirtualBox on your machine (following these instructions), then creating a CentOS4 virtual machine to run WordPerfect in.
    This sounds like major surgery to me. But it might be worth exploring. Of course, Virtualbox doesn't seem to work right for me. I get the error:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    WP Office 8 for Linux didn't really work all that great in its heyday. I have a copy of it around here somewhere. There is an 'Alternate Find/Replace' extension for LibreOffice that might make it quite adequate for your needs.

Alternative dialog Find & Replace for Writer (AltSearch)
    Open/Libre Office find and replace, even the downloadable alternates simply cannot find and replace line-break returns.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There are a lot of online tools that can do that. http://www.textfixer.com/tools/remove-line-breaks.php is one that I use frequently.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cecilieaux View Post
    This sounds like major surgery to me. But it might be worth exploring. Of course, Virtualbox doesn't seem to work right for me. I get the error:
    The VirtualBox installer needs to compile a kernel module from source each time the kernel is upgraded. If your system doesn't have development tools, you'll get that error. Take the approach described on the VirtualBox site I linked to above and follow the directions for "Debian-based" distributions to add the Oracle repository. Then when you install VirtualBox it will pull in the needed dependencies for you like the gcc compiler and the dkms module compilation system.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cecilieaux View Post
    Open/Libre Office find and replace, even the downloadable alternates simply cannot find and replace line-break returns.
    https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/...ar_Expressions

Juste tried it, working

Edit : I should probably say what. in Search & Replace, tick regexp and search for \n (will search for line break) and replace with \n (will replace with paragraph break).
    Last edited by bapoumba; October 29th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

FYI: I love WordPerfect. I also bought WP8 for Linux just to see if I could get it working. Having said that, I currently use WP X3 in VirtualBox running on WindowsPro 2000. It works flawlessly. Just beautiful. Quick and responsive. Better than Wine could ever do.

And here's the kicker:

Running in VB, it uses less memory than LibreOffice running natively!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast