Thread: How can I change what details the Thunderbird email notification pop-up displays?

Beans

How can I change what details the Thunderbird email notification pop-up displays?

Sorry if this isn't really the place to post this but:

At the moment when I get a pop-up notification that I've received an email it is is the format:

-My email address
    -Received 1 new message
    -Subject Line of email
    -1st Line of email

How can I change this so that it also displays the email address/name of whoever sent me that email?
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity
    Thanks for any help, I've gone through so many settings menu but have drawn a blank!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How can I change what details the Thunderbird email notification pop-up displays?

It doesn't look like you can change the format of the notification too much. The settings for this are contained in Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Config Editor

Search for alert

It's a bit more usable if you set mail.biff.alert.show_preview to false. At least you can then see the subject line and "from Name of Sender".
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I change what details the Thunderbird email notification pop-up displays?

Quote Originally Posted by coversnail View Post
    S At the moment when I get a pop-up notification that I've received an email it is is the format:

-My email address
    -Received 1 new message
    -Subject Line of email
    -1st Line of email

How can I change this so that it also displays the email address/name of whoever sent me that email?
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity
    The notification is generated by your email client. Please look for relevant settings there. For example, in Thunderbird, look at Edit-Preferences-General-Show an alert-Customize...

You will have options to display "Message preview text", "Subject" and "Sender".
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lechien73 View Post
    It doesn't look like you can change the format of the notification too much. The settings for this are contained in Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Config Editor

Search for alert

It's a bit more usable if you set mail.biff.alert.show_preview to false. At least you can then see the subject line and "from Name of Sender".
    Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    The notification is generated by your email client. Please look for relevant settings there. For example, in Thunderbird, look at Edit-Preferences-General-Show an alert-Customize...

You will have options to display "Message preview text", "Subject" and "Sender".
    Many thanks for the replies I did have the options set properly but I still didn't get a senders email/name in the notification. Though after deselecting and reselecting the relevant options it seems to be working now. Thanks for your help will edit to [solved]