Thread: complete n00b, resolution stuck on 800x600

Beans

Red face complete n00b, resolution stuck on 800x600

hey guys, i just installed ubuntu 8.04 through Wubi.
    what can i do to change my resolution to 1024x768? i have a via sg3 unichrome pro graphics chip on a fujitsu amilo L7300 laptop. from the installation it said its going to run on low graphics and i couldn't configure it. tried to search the forums but got even more confused. i am VERY VERY VERY new to this, so please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: complete n00b, resolution stuck on 800x600

Go to System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by con spirito View Post
    hey guys, i just installed ubuntu 8.04 through Wubi.
    what can i do to change my resolution to 1024x768? i have a via sg3 unichrome pro graphics chip on a fujitsu amilo L7300 laptop. from the installation it said its going to run on low graphics and i couldn't configure it. tried to search the forums but got even more confused. i am VERY VERY VERY new to this, so please help.
    We feel your pain. We were all new at one point. I am assuming you are using a driver compatible with Ubuntu 8.04. Drivers I used on previous versions of Ubuntu did not work for my laptop. This means trial and error to find the right one in some cases.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go card on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I had similar problems. Trying to fix one lead me to a few others. Don't give up hope though. I was able to resolve my hardware conflicts with Ubuntu 8.04. My fix can be found at...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=773391

I faced the same symptom you described with a different piece of hardware. With my laptop the NVIDIA driver was not configured to see the higher resolution display. Drivers are written by people and people make mistakes or can't think of everything. I think if you try using a custom edid.bin file described in my thread you may be able to get to the higher resolution. It may be worth a try. However, to get it to work your driver control program needs to be able to export a edid.bin or similar file. Your hardware provider may have called it something different but the theory behind the solution may be what ails your system.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thanks for the support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

EDIT: I need to learn to read
    Disclaimer: Yes I usually talk crap