Thread: Incredible SLOW install/live CD (hours)

Beans

Unhappy Incredible SLOW install/live CD (hours)

Hello
    I'm at the first approach with the linux world: I attenpted an ubuntu 7.10 installation on an old laptop.
    The installation is incredibly slow: 4 hours before see the graphical desktop.
    I have made many different attempts: live-cd, ubuntu 7.10, xbuntu 7.10, ubuntu 8.04, xubuntu 8.04 with wubi. I guess this last one tooks more than 12 hours to complete (...gone to sleep before see the end): and again, wen booting the new installed xubuntu took hours to complete (...I switched off the machine before to see the end).

The machine details are
    Intel Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz
    2 DIMM, Burst EDO, 512MB SDRAM
    Gericom Laptoop - "1s Supersonic P4 1630"
    Phoenix Bios 130c - 1.10 -0812 17 april 2002
    Chipset SiS 650
    SouthBidge SiS ID0008

Other info
    - windows xp works well on the same machine
    - memory test on UBUNUTU 8.04 CD found no problems
    - wile installing hard disk led shows very fews access

What's wrong ?

Beans

Re: Incredible SLOW install/live CD (hours)

For installing Ubuntu disconnect your computer from internet (I always do so to make the installation in shortest possible time), because if it is connected to internet, then it will be trying to connect to usa (not to your local server) and download from there all new versions of software. So I guess your internet connection is a) slow or b) not very good.

Beans

I highly recommend using the "alternate install" disk instead of the Live CD. It should be available the same place you downloaded the Live CD from. It is text-based instead of graphic, and has no Live CD capabilities, but it installs the same system in the end.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Odrodzona-Sarmacja View Post
    For installing Ubuntu disconnect your computer from internet (I always do so to make the installation in shortest possible time), because if it is connected to internet, then it will be trying to connect to usa (not to your local server) and download from there all new versions of software. So I guess your internet connection is a) slow or b) not very good.
    Thanks for the reply but the poor little laptop a) is not even connected to any kind a network and b) keeps hours only to begin to boot, not to mention try to start the graphic interface.

May be it's slow because it is not connected to a network ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I highly recommend using the "alternate install" disk instead of the Live CD. It should be available the same place you downloaded the Live CD from. It is text-based instead of graphic, and has no Live CD capabilities, but it installs the same system in the end.
    Thanks snowpine: i did not yet give it a try (alternate CD).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexli_it View Post
    Thanks for the reply but the poor little laptop a) is not even connected to any kind a network and b) keeps hours only to begin to boot, not to mention try to start the graphic interface.

May be it's slow because it is not connected to a network ?
    In that case give a try to this alternate cd.
    If alternate cd doesn't work, as it also could be something with your os not detecting something correctly, then you are going to need to go into bios and fix it to non plug&play os.