Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound on HP G72 laptop with 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

No sound on HP G72 laptop with 10.04

I've looked at the various posts about this problem, but none of the solutions I've found have worked.

I've tried:

Adding the line "options snd-hda-intel model=g71v" to alsa-base.conf, with variations on the model.

Running sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-`uname -r`, which returned a package not found error for a generic driver.

aplay -l returns:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The speaker is labeled Altec Lansing, but the computer doesn't show any proprietary drivers for it when I search for them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT:
    Fixed it. There's a Linux driver at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...3&DownTypeID=3 that includes steps to make it work.

Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
    Last edited by Cactusm123; August 29th, 2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Fixed problem

Beans

Re: No sound on HP G72 laptop with 10.04

hey, i'm having the same problem with the same laptop. i have downloaded the Linux driver from the link you provided, but how do i install it? i read the instructions it came with, but i didn't understand them.....

Beans
    Distro

These are the instructions I used. I'll see if I can help clarify them. My comment's will be in []'s.

Note: Ubuntu OS, please use manual install.
    Run commands need to add sudo at first words. [at the terminal, enter 'sudo su' at the prompt, no quotes, and press enter. That elevates you to root privileges.]

Manual install:
    Step 1. unzip source code

[You need to be in the directory you downloaded the file to. I DL'd it to ~/Downloads, so the first thing I would do is 'cd ~/Downloads' w/out quotes to be in the right spot. Then you copy the next line, but you have to replace the .xx. with the version number, so erase the line to that point and press TAB to autocomplete.]

tar xfvj alsa-driver-1.0.xx.tar.bz2

Step 2. Complied source code [TAB completion also applies to this one - copy 'cd alsa-driver-1.0.' into the terminal, press TAB, then press enter. The rest of the commands can be copy-pasted into the terminal as is.]

a. cd alsa-driver-1.0.xx
    b. ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
    c. make
    d. make install

Step 3. reboot your machine

[I didn't have to do step 4]

Step 4. Use the alsamixer the disable mute (All audio line default is mute)
    Must to compile and to install the ALSA library and utility. (Use automatic install is already install)
    excute alsamixer

Hope that helped! Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem but I have external speakers connected via the headphone O/P and they work fine. Also I do not wish to get into the business of downloading and compiling source code if I can possibly avoid it.

I have also noticed on reviews of HP laptops in online retailers sites, there is a general complaint about the internal speakers being very quiet so there may be a hardware issue.
    Geoff Walker

Hewlett Packard G72: Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx
    Acer Aspire One: Linux Mint 11, Katya

Beans
    Distro

As far as I'm aware, no way to do it without the driver. Compiling isn't difficult - sudo make, then sudo make install. I've never had any trouble with he speaker volume, and it seems about the same in Linux and Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    I have the same problem but I have external speakers connected via the headphone O/P and they work fine. Also I do not wish to get into the business of downloading and compiling source code if I can possibly avoid it.

I have also noticed on reviews of HP laptops in online retailers sites, there is a general complaint about the internal speakers being very quiet so there may be a hardware issue.
    The problem may be fixed in the next ubuntu release so you may only need the work-around until then. I'd like to have a look at it if you wouldn't mind.

Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:
    Code:
    uname -a
    aplay -l
    dpkg -l | grep "alsa"
    head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed the driver following the instructions given and now I am worse off. I have no sound at all. The speaker icon in the upper taskbar now instead of having a spreading sound symbol just has a double dash (--) after it.

From the previous post

Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:

Code:
    uname -a
    aplay -l
    dpkg -l | grep "alsa"
    head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
    Here is the output

Code:
    geoff@Ptera:~$ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...
    geoff@Ptera:~$ dpkg -l | grep "alsa"
    ii  alsa-base                             1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3                          ALSA driver configuration files
    ii  alsa-utils                            1.0.22-0ubuntu5                                 ALSA utilities
    ii  alsamixergui                          0.9.0rc2-1-9                                    graphical soundcard mixer for ALSA soundcard
    ii  bluez-alsa                            4.60-0ubuntu8                                   Bluetooth audio support
    ii  gnome-alsamixer                       0.9.7~cvs.20060916.ds.1-2                       ALSA sound mixer for GNOME
    ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa                    0.10.28-1                                       GStreamer plugin for ALSA
    geoff@Ptera:~$ head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
    head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card*/codec#*' for reading: No such file or directory
    The output is worrying to say the least. Something is clearly missing.
    Geoff Walker

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I recompiled and reinstalled the drivers and it is now working OK including sound on the internal speakers.

I don't know what went wrong with the original install.

Whole morning wasted! Now to go and cut the grass.
    Last edited by Tootler; September 18th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Geoff Walker

Beans

Cactusm123 workaround solved my problem. Thanks a lot!

Beans

Thank you, Cactusm123 - !!!

Perfect, and gosh am I ever glad to get my sound back!

By the way, I would mark your issue as solved so that people googling the issue will see at once that here they might find the solution.
    Last edited by kle; October 24th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast