Thread: WMP600N (rt2860) driver problem with NetworkManager

Beans

WMP600N (rt2860) driver problem with NetworkManager

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a Linksys WMP600N wifi-n card (rt2680 chipset) working under Jaunty.
    The card works with the stock driver, but the n connectivity is fubar. I've seen some posts indicating that the fresh RaLink drivers perform better, so I tried to build them from source.

I followed the steps that are outlined here: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bac...wpa2-ccmp.html using the latest 2.2.0.0 driver tar.gz from RaLink.

The driver I built seems to work, I can do an insmod and iwconfig lists the card, but NetworkManager refuses to support it, with the following messages in daemon.log:

Oct 1 10:15:41 xxx nm-system-settings: SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device
    added (udi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_pci_1814_601, iface: ra0): not well known
    Oct 1 10:15:41 xxx NetworkManager: <WARN> wireless_get_range(): (ra0): couldn't get driver range information (100).
    Oct 1 10:15:41 xxx NetworkManager: <WARN> constructor(): (ra0): Device unsupported, ignoring.

Why is the device unsupported with the new driver, but not with the old one? What should I do to try to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Beans

Re: WMP600N (rt2860) driver problem with NetworkManager

I can connect with 802.11n (no security) using the ralink linux driver compiled from source on Jaunty.

ra0 Ralink STA ESSID:"MySSID" Nickname:"RT2860STA"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=5.805 GHz Access Point: 00:23:69:E5:20:99
    Bit Rate=270 Mb/s
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Link Quality=100/100 Signal level:-52 dBm Noise level:-56 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

The unsuccessful part is that I cannot get it to work with WPA1/2 using either DHCP or static addressing. The WPA supplicant reports that is succeeds with the 802.1x 4 way handshake and the group handshake. In the case of DHCP it ends up with a timeout and with static address I can't ping the router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: WMP600N (rt2860) driver problem with NetworkManager

I am having this problem to. I can connect to a "G" network with no issues but when it comes to a "N" network it just won't connect.

Any ideas?