Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    8

    my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    Package: installation-reports Boot method: CD
    Image version: ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386
    Date: 1 oct 1600h

    Machine: Lenovo T5500
    Processor: intel core 2 cpu 1.66ghz
    Memory: 0.99gb ram
    Partitions: no

    Output of lspci and lspci -n: unsure Base System Installation Checklist: [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it Initial boot worked: [O] Configure network HW: [ ] Config network: [ ] Detect CD: [E] Load installer modules: [ ] Detect hard drives: [ ] Partition hard drives: [ ] Create file systems: [ ] Mount partitions: [ ] Install base system: [ ] Install boot loader: [ ] Reboot: [ ] Comments/Problems: Left my CD in the cd-drive and proceed to boot computer. Everything works fine till I entered this screen which says:
    "BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-|ubuntu11) built in shell (ash)

    Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

    (initramfs) can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem-squaslfs) on //filesystem.squaslifs"


    I have retried many times, using different disc, different boot method from the CD menu but consistantly get to this screen.
    What can I do?
    Last edited by meteors; October 3rd, 2010 at 10:22 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Beans
    383
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    Could be a bad image try burning the image again on the slowest possible speed you can its good practice to do this for all ISO images
    Heres a link to 2 ways of installing Ubuntu either by USB Pen drive or CD
    http://www.youtube.com/user/LinuxFor...s?feature=mhum

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    17,063
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    Quote Originally Posted by meteors View Post
    i have downloaded the iso, burn the image onto a cdr but when my laptop tried to boot from the disc, it ran smoothly only for awhile before consistently going to this black screen which says :



    what shld i do? my computer not suitable to use ubuntu?
    Boot the cd and at the first graphic press any key. A menu appears. Choose Check CD for Defects.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    8

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    Quote Originally Posted by 0N3 View Post
    Could be a bad image try burning the image again on the slowest possible speed you can its good practice to do this for all ISO images
    Heres a link to 2 ways of installing Ubuntu either by USB Pen drive or CD
    http://www.youtube.com/user/LinuxFor...s?feature=mhum
    did that, same prob even with diff disc

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    8

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Boot the cd and at the first graphic press any key. A menu appears. Choose Check CD for Defects.
    it leads me to the same screen when i choose check cd for defects

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    8

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc




    no matter wat i do...i alays end up with this screen

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    a puddle in Manchester
    Beans
    9,202
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    I think that may mean that the file system is bad on the disc. Check the MD5 checksum on the download and if correct maybe you could burn the image again. Try a slower setting.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    126
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    I actually have had this issue with certain computers. This usually happens to me when the cd/dvd drive doesn't have drivers to run in dos. Try using some different external cd drives to see if that may be your issue.

    If you do not have any externals and you have a desktop, then try to see if you have some sort of a conversion box. I have one where I plug in a laptop hd and it can be used as a usb drive. This way, you can plug it into your desktop, insert the disk and start install, then install to the laptop drive. After that is installed you should be able to put it back in your laptop and it will boot to your os.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Beans
    637
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    Quote Originally Posted by poodoopealeoaph View Post
    I actually have had this issue with certain computers. This usually happens to me when the cd/dvd drive doesn't have drivers to run in dos. Try using some different external cd drives to see if that may be your issue.

    If you do not have any externals and you have a desktop, then try to see if you have some sort of a conversion box. I have one where I plug in a laptop hd and it can be used as a usb drive. This way, you can plug it into your desktop, insert the disk and start install, then install to the laptop drive. After that is installed you should be able to put it back in your laptop and it will boot to your os.
    This shouldn't be the problem there is no DOS here.

    I would probably make a bootable USB stick as it will give you less problems and you probably have a few 1GB flash drives lying around.

    Otherwise try re-downloading the ISO file and burn it at a slow speed some older CDROM drives have trouble reading a disk that has been burned at a higher speed.
    "Don't Panic"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    8

    Re: my laptop cant boot from ubuntu disc

    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I think that may mean that the file system is bad on the disc. Check the MD5 checksum on the download and if correct maybe you could burn the image again. Try a slower setting.


    tried using other software to burn and got this

    is my prob with the iso?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •