Thread: Sony Ericsson Xperia

Beans

Sony Ericsson Xperia

Hi

Is there anyway to configure Ubuntu 9.04 to recognise Sony Ercisson Xperia X10 as a modem via usb? Ubuntu 9.04 can recognise Sony Ericsson m600i with ease.
    I can mount the Xperia's memory card from the phone easily. I cannot connect to the internet via modem.

Thanks for assisting in advance

Regards,

DJFTL!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia

You might want to update to the latest ubuntu. It will work in that. Or if you're patient, you can wait till late october, a new version comes out but either way, you need to update to get it to work.

Beans

Oh man do I really have to do that? That means I will have to re download all the software I have installed in this OS. Is there no second option?

Thanks for the reply though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Uhm, well, you can just upgrade your ubuntu to the next version via Update Manager and se ee if that does the trick. I dont think you can get around updating though, your ubuntu is pretty old. Maybe wait for more replies. If you do it via Update Manager, it will be automated and it will download newer versions of everything you have without you having to do that manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just bought an xperia X10, and plugged it in for the first time. Nothing. I mean, the phone is charging, but so far as I can tell, the system hasn't recognized it or tried to communicate with it.

I'm on 10.10, fully updated, although I would venture to guess that I'm missing some app somewhere along the way.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Figured it out, by the way. Mount is from the phone end, otherwise the USB just charges the battery.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans

Yes you have to mount it to have access to your card from PC. To access the internet you have to install some tethering software. I installed easytether the free version. I can connect to the net but the limitation is that I can't connect to secure sites. So I can't login anyway, FB, Twitter, gmail etc.

I'm still looking for a better tethering software with no limitations.