Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nfs: RPC call returned error 88

Beans

nfs: RPC call returned error 88

I recently upgraded a couple of my systems from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS. I had no issues with nfs prior to the upgrade. After the upgrade I am occasionally seeing the following messages:

[269280.410969] nfs: RPC call returned error 88
    /mspfiles: Socket operation on non-socket

mspfiles being the share name.

This never used to happen on 8.04. Generally the error "Socket operation on non-socket" points to a coding error. Could this be a bug in the kernel? Has anyone else come across this?

The only other recent reference that I found to the same errors was in this comment on the OpenSUSE bugtracker: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=557760#c10

It seems as though it is handling loss of connectivity less gracefully than it did before.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I can't really upgrade any more of my servers until this is fixed as we are heavily dependant on nfs.

Beans

Re: nfs: RPC call returned error 88

Are you using the same version of NFS on the server as on the client? I don't know how well different versions of NFS communicate with eachother...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    Are you using the same version of NFS on the server as on the client? I don't know how well different versions of NFS communicate with eachother...
    Yeh, I was thinking about that yesterday but wasn't sure that that might be the cause. I'll check that out. Thanks.

If anyone else has suggestions I'm all ears.

Beans

Well, the client and the server aren't the same package versions, but they are both using NFSv3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rawdmon View Post
    Well, the client and the server aren't the same package versions, but they are both using NFSv3.
    That should be OK then... I thought there was an issue with this with v3, have you tried v4? I'm guessing you were using v3 previously tho...

Beans

No we haven't tried v4, but yes we were using v3 previously without issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What options are you using to mount the shares, have you for instance played around with hard vs soft mounting or cache sizes?
    Also, what settings do you have in you /etc/exports file on the server for this share?
    Pwn the day

Beans

We're not using anything special for the options, and besides, the options haven't changed from before when it was working perfectly fine. Something has changed in 10.04 to cause these nfs issues. There must be a bug in the code somewhere.

When I unmount/remount the nfs share I also see this in dmesg:

[277015.111151] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).

I also see errors as follows...

Jul 14 05:28:34 lab01 snmpd[818]: /mspfiles: Socket operation on non-socket

That error is always a result of bad coding. There has to be a bug somewhere.
    Last edited by rawdmon; July 14th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.

Beans

We'd need to see your exports file and how you're mounting to help.

Also, if this is a production server why didn't you leave it on 8.04? 10.04 isn't exactly designed for production machines. If you need stability, stick with 8.04.

Beans

With 10.04 being the latest LTS I assumed it would be stable enough for production. Also, the 2 machines that were upgraded are in production but they are for our own internal stuff instead of our customers, so it's not as big of a deal, which is why I'm using them as upgrade pilots.
    Last edited by rawdmon; July 14th, 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast