Thread: File encryption.. ?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question File encryption.. ?!

I wanted to lean how to encrypt files and folders, and I managed to install Seahorse and get it working so I can right-click files and then encrypt them with a GPG key.. Working fine!

But there's one thing I simply don't understand. To open the file I have to enter the password, of course. But by pressing the delete button, I can erase the encrypted files. Not so secure again?

Why can I delete encrypted files? Doesn't make sense.
    The truth about 9/11 is being hidden from us.

Code:
    sudo fix problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: File encryption.. ?!

It does make sense. Encrypting files is what is says it is to be. All It does is scramble the file contents so there unreadable without a password. This does not make your files invincible. The encrypted files can be deleted, copied, moved, etc. like any other file or directory you have.

Beans

Re: File encryption.. ?!

I think you're misinterpreting the meaning of secure here. It's secure in that nobody can read the contents without a password, not secure in that it's fixed to the disk. If you want to make it harder to remove a file, then set it's owner to root and set file permissions to 755. (root has full access and can delete, but all groups can only read and execute)
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: File encryption.. ?!

Okay, I see. Thanks for the help!

And thanks to you WorMzy for pointing out the root and permission stuff, gotta play with that some day.
    The truth about 9/11 is being hidden from us.

Code:
    sudo fix problem