Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black screen when I do switch user

Beans

Question black screen when I do switch user

hello all,
    yestarday I installed ubuntu 10.04, and the PC we using 3 persons, but when any user switch to the own user system, sometimes ubuntu stay on "black screen" and I need to restart.
    Any solution for this???

Regards

Beans

Re: black screen when I do switch user

Same here: Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop...

Beans

I am having 10.04 ...I too am getting the error....when you switch back from another user you get a blank screen ...the system freezes...need to physically reboot. One more thing, when you switch user using 'Switch from keech'and try to login back without going to any other user the screen just freezes with the login screen. I am not sure why this happening, I have tried the following but did'nt work

Uninstalled gnome-screensaver
    deleted the user,created new

Someone needs to find a solution else...its going to make people regret opting for Ubuntu
    Thanx and Rgds......Keech

Athlon 64 X2 4000+(2.1GHz,1MB Dedicated L2 cache, 2000MHz HyperTransport bus, SocAM2),3GB DDR RAM(1024MB Shared),160GB HD,Gigabyte-GA-MA69VM-S2(ATI™ Radeon™ X1200),Ubuntu10.04

Beans

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem, but I've found a way to recover without a reboot.

If you just press ctrl+alt+F7 when this happens then you can log into one of the other accounts and shut the computer down from there. Alternatively.

I really don't know what I'm doing and this is probably a very bad way of dealing with the problem, but it might be better than a reboot. IT WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY LOOSE DATA IN OPEN DOCUMENTS.

Press ctrl+alt+F3
    type ps u -C gnome-session
    Find the process id associated with the user for which logging in gives you a blank screen
    then type sudo kill XXXX
    enter your password
    where XXXX is the process id
    then press ctrl+alt+F7 and you should be able to log into one of your accounts
    Last edited by pernest; May 2nd, 2010 at 02:28 PM.

Beans

on this moment I just use the option "Switch from <user>"
    but we need the option of the user loggon

any solution..??

Regards

Beans

any solutions..???
    ??????????
    the problem still persist

Beans

hey guys maube I found the solution please review on my blog
    http://chanflee.com/?p=1682

Beans

It seems that chanfle might have a solution. After I ran the blog post through google translate I think what he's suggesting is:

use synaptic package manager to find and uninstall gnome-screensaver. After I did this, I can now switch users without the black screen appearing.

I wonder if it would be possible to just configure the screen-saver instead of removing it?

Beans

hi pernest,
    in my case I installed the package and uninstalled after, I not testing about configurate the screensaver mode, maybe work it, if you try this mode, please post it here...

Regards..

Beans

I had the same problem with a fresh install of 10.04. As per the suggestion I uninstalled gnome-screensaver and was then able to switch users without the black screen defect. I then installed it again intending to confirm/check the results and found that the problem remained fixed: with gnome-screensaver re-installed I am now able to switch users without the black screen defect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast