Thread: Wiimote Utilization

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wiimote Utilization

I recently bought a Wii Remote for use with my computer and have utilized all main cursor control functions such as by accelerometer (pitch and roll), ir tracking (such as with a sensor bar, like the intended use), and ir pen tracking (commonly known as "Wiimote Whiteboard"). I realized that the Wiimote has much more potential than I have taken advantage of so far, so I would like to expand on that. The main thing I am looking for opinions about are the available options for programs that interact with the Wiimote. The main one I have been using lately is CWiid. It has a very simple interface and can translate most, if not all of the Wiimote's data output to mouse or keyboard functions, which is all you need for most programs, but there are some functions that I would like to control, but am not exactly sure how. One of these functions is being able to translate accelerometer outputs to control synthesizers. I know that these already exist (such as Wiinstrument) and may do exactly what I want, but none of them will install correctly. I would like to be able to have the Wiimote control a synthesizer (such as fluidsynth and QSynth, of which I have experience), through a midi interface. A flick of the wrist would play a note, varying the dynamics with how hard you flick. If you hold down a button, lets say a, while you flick, it plays a different note. If you hold down another button, or combination of buttons, it plays a different note. If anybody can point me towards some programs, or give me some resources on how to possible do this with CWiid, it would make me very happy. Maybe even a Theremin-like effect could be achieved using pitch to control volume/dynamics, and roll controlling musical pitch/frequency. If it matters, I'm running 64 bit Xubuntu 9.10.

Thanks for any input you could give,
    thelethargarian
    Last edited by thelethargarian; December 26th, 2009 at 04:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wiimote Utilization

Nobody? I know that people must have done this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Wiimote Utilization

Interesting!!!