Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity

Beans

Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity in 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10

I just got Verizon Mobile Palm Pre Plus and set up the 3G Mobil Hotspot. I'm able to connect to the hotspot with Ubuntu 9.10, Win XP and Win 7 without a hitch using WPA/WPA2 Personal or Open connections. Service is slow on XP, but not bad on Win 7 and Ubuntu.

The problem is that when using Ubuntu, the Pre is constantly connecting and disconnecting the computer, but Ubuntu shows a solid connection at all times. Running windows 7 on the same machine works fine.

EDIT: I solved the problem in 9.10 by removing my wireless backports module as stated in post #3, but it looks like the problem will be back with 10.04 as noted in post #4. A workaround is presented in post #2.

EDIT: This looks like it is a problem with Palm's Hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by cek View Post
    Alright, I think I have a solution to the issue, and I think it's a bug with the Palm Hotspot software.

It's not responding to direct probe requests from a direct packet, the probe request needs to be sent to the broadcast address.

It would be relatively simple to patch this in the kernel to mask the issue, but I'm not sure if that is the "correct" approach. Likely that will be faster than we can get Palm to address it though...
    Please see the next post for a workaround. I will attempt to keep this thread up to date. Please post your results.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; January 6th, 2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Workaround added to post #2

Beans

Re: Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity

Thanks to cek, CodeDonkey, PatrickVogeli and others for thier contributions to this guide,

1. Download compat-wireless-2.6.32.16.tar.bz2 from http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/
    2. Untar it
    3. edit ./net/mac80211/mlme.c within the untarred source following Cek's instructions:
    Quote Originally Posted by cek View Post
    Within the source for the wireless drivers, open the file: ./net/mac80211/mlme.c

with gedit (or whatever text editing program you prefer), search for the following:

ieee80211_send_probe_req(sdata, ifmgd->associated->cbss.bssid,

This should lead you to two lines of code that look like this:

Code:
     ssid + 2, ssid[1], NULL, 0);
    Comment out these two lines of code and replace with the same function call with different arguments, the finished product should look like this:

Code:
    /*
     ssid + 2, ssid[1], NULL, 0);
    */
    ieee80211_send_probe_req(sdata, NULL, ssid + 2, ssid[1], NULL, 0);
    4. Go to the compat-wireless-2.6.32.16 folder (the one that was the result of the untar in step 2) in the terminal.

5. Do the following commands in the terminal:

./scripts/driver-select iwlwifi
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo make unload

6. Restart your computer

*If it goes wrong you can undo it by sudo make uninstall.

Notes: If step 5 fails, make sure you have your kernel headers installed.

If that's not enough, you may also need to run this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    It seems as though the new driver will NOT work if you are using linux-backports-modules-wireless. Use Synaptic Package Manager to remove it if necessary.

NEW SOLUTION
    This one worked for me:

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmanyrabbitguteat View Post
    ohiomoto, I got my 3g hotspot to work using the tutorial found here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1598930
    (many thanks to SquirrelScript for that)
    For everybody's benefit, I've pasted the tutorial below. Basically, you need to patch an updated version of the driver, and edit a script to install to the appropriate version of the kernel. This set of instructoins is for Ubuntu 10.10 and derrivitaves. I'm running 10.10 32 bit. No promises for 64 bit...
    It's pretty easy:
    Code:
    wget http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2010-10-16.tar.bz2
    tar -jxf compat-wireless-2010-10-16.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-2010-10-16
    wget http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/mac80211.compat08082009.wl_frag+ack_v1.patch
    patch -p1 < mac80211.compat08082009.wl_frag+ack_v1.patch
    wget http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/channel-negative-one-maxim.patch
    patch ./net/wireless/chan.c channel-negative-one-maxim.patch
    gedit scripts/update-initramfs
    #*** FIND LINE 13: KLIB=/lib/modules/2.6.31-wl/build
    #*** REPLACE WITH: KLIB=/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo make unload
    sudo reboot
    Hope it works - keep us posted.
    Thanks! Worked great with my 32-bit Lubuntu.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; January 6th, 2011 at 04:28 AM.

Beans

Solved by removing linux-backports modules.

Beans

Hello, I am having the exact same problem. My Palm and Ubuntu were running fine until I upgraded to 10.04, and now it keeps dropping just as you said. I don't have the linux-backports modules installed, at least as far as I can tell. Any suggestions on what to look for now? Thanks.

Beans

I'm still using 9.10 so the only clue I can offer is that 10.04 might be using the latest drivers that were in the 9.10 backposrts module.

I don't know enough to be any help, but maybe someone else can shed a little more light on the subject. I'll remove the "solved" tag.

Beans

Just and update, I tried installing linux-backports-modules-wireless-generic and linux-backports-modules-wireless-preempt with no success. I have then done a complete fresh install of Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 64-bit. It still does the same thing. The hotspot connection continues to cycle. It worked fine in 9.10. Is there a way to backup to the drivers I was using in 9.10? How can I fix this?

Beans

Sounds like the same issue I had with backports on 9.10, but only with the mobile hotspot. All my other wireless connections worked fine. It's worked perfectly since I removed the backports.

I sent a PM so someone who may be able to help out. I hope it gets sorted out because I'm planning on upgrading to 10.04 soon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi there.. I don't think I have any solution for you, but still, I'll try.

I assume you are using the Phone as a Wireless Acess Point, not tethering or stuff like that. If that's true, you might want to look into the compat-wireless drivers http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/

These should provide newer intel wifi drivers. Or, searching a bit, you could find the older ones which worked fine. After unzipping, you must run scripts/driver-select iwlagn or something similar to select to only build the intel driver (for 5x00 and 1000 devides). After that, the tipical make and sudo install should work. After a reboot you should have different drivers.. If they don't work, sudo make uninstall and go try another file.

I think in the Acer 1810T thread for karmic I explained how to build the compat wireless package.. I'm a bit in a hurry now...
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Beans

Thanks for chiming in here Patrick! And yes, we are using the phone as a wireless access point which happens to be the main reason I purchased it.

Here is the Acer 1810T post he's talking about: http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer...ml#post5521789

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickVogeli
    Wireless power saving: Issue: in kernels from the 2.6.31 series, wireless power saving in intel wireless drivers was dissabled.
    Solution: (please, first look at the Alternative Solution below) install updated drivers. the method I used, is compiling and installing the latest intel wireless drivers from the 2.6.32.2 kernel. To do this, download the latest wireless backports drivers from here (compat-wireless-2.6.32.2.tar.bz2, updated). Unpack them and, to compile and install:
    Code:
    cd /to/compat/wireless/folder
    scripts/driver-select iwlwifi
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo make unload
    sudo modprobe iwlagn
    Last edited by ohiomoto; July 30th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.

Beans

Also, would this be considered a bug and would it be an Ubuntu or WebOS bug?

I would like to see the issue fixed without having to do workarounds.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast