Thread: Questions about Buying Domain / Hosting Web server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Questions about Buying Domain / Hosting Web server

I am thinking about buying a domain name and hosting my web server.

I have a couple questions about buying a domain name. I have seen pricing from $8 to $30 a year. Any favorites from fellow ubunters? Also this whole "whois" thing scares me, if I am correct my information I enter when buying the domain is enter into some big pool of information. People can find this information out and dig up important information. http://www.whois.net/ Can I prevent this with private Whois or how do I set it up? This website examples some of my fears with this whole WhoIs thing, http://hostsite.com/private-whois/Private-Whois.html Does most/all domain registers come with email or just email forwarding or both? How does that work? At this moment, my only question about Web Hosting is how do I get Website Statistics as in: Stats, web analytics, web traffic stats and more? I will be web hosting through Ubuntu 9.10 gnome.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.
    Sugi
    WINE: Super Meat Boy // Far Cry 2 // Lineage 2
    VirtualBox: Snapshots // OSE Issues
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Questions about Buying Domain / Hosting Web server

I use GoDaddy for my domain registration and I have no complaints. $10 per year and they also offer an option to hide whois info for an additional $10 per year.

I use Google Analytics for my stats and it works great for web hosting, but you may need something else to track other services. I don't know what registrars offer in that respect.
    When people ask me what my most valuable trait is, I tell them that it is the ability to do a Google search.
    CMU ECE Class of 2015

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Questions about Buying Domain / Hosting Web server

I host my websites on 1and1 servers.
    No complainings for the last 7 years
    Oh and yes, you can set your whois to Private so that no one could ever know that this is your website. And it's free with 1and1. The only way anyone could get your info if someone decide to sue your @$$ for copyright material hosted on your website.

They have very easy to use admin panel so that even newbies can work with it.

Never used their servers, only share hosting so don't know much about 1and1 servers.

_1and1.com
    Last edited by ArtemNY; March 30th, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I have actually looked into those two providers. Does both of them include email services?

Sugi
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sugi View Post
    I have actually looked into those two providers. Does both of them include email services?

Sugi
    1and1 does. Just open the "pricing" page.
    The smallest shared hosting package provides 600 accs and 2GB of space for mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I use DNSExit, they are registrars and they also provide Dynamic DNS services for free. They are not the cheapest for Domains ($12.95) but I figured that since I was using their Dynamic DNS for nothing, I could pay them a bit more for the Domains.

I haven't used anyone else's dynamic dns service, so I can't compare for stability. DNSExit's service will go for a month or two without a hiccup, then I will have string of days where it has shut down and failed to check. (Never more than a day or two.) All it takes is just checking it everyday and if it quite to do the sudo thing and stop and start it again. My ip doesn't change very often, so it isn't that big of a deal and my web sites get very little traffic.

As for private whois data, I don't know if they offer it or not. I didn't really care who knows.

You can set up for mail, provided your ISP isn't blocking the port.

Here is their site: http://www.dnsexit.com/
    Last edited by bpalone; March 30th, 2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Add info. and use the right there/their

Beans
    Distro

Thanks bpalone & ArtemNY for the report. I am thinking about 1and and mydomain. Looking into private WhoIs.

Sugi
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sugi View Post
    Thanks bpalone & ArtemNY for the report. I am thinking about 1and and mydomain. Looking into private WhoIs.

Sugi
    1and1 is very good for newbies. They were my very 1st web hosting. In 10-15 minutes after I bought the 1st hosting package I knew what to do with it. Very simple!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would stay away from GoDaddy for anything regarding domain names. There have been too many reports of them doing dodgy stuff to customers, like suspending accounts for no reason and blocking domain name transfers.

http://nodaddy.com/

Beans
    Distro

I have never really consider godaddy. They seemed higher on the price for domains without anything special. Well, I have a domain now, and I am going to start working on the web server. I have to finish the web coding and find a working computer to host it on. XD

Sugi
    アンディモリを聞いてください。