Thread: Best Laptop For Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Best Laptop For Ubuntu?

I'm in the market for a new laptop. My current one (MacBook) is starting to show it's age; I run Ubuntu on it, but there are a number of incompatibilities that are starting to irk me, and the computer itself is starting to have hardware problems.

I don't want to buy a new mac - I'm after something with a bit more performance. I want at least 15" of screen real estate, an Intel i5 or better processor, and at least 4GB of RAM.

My most likely choice is Dell (perhaps a Studio 1555?) but I would like to know what laptops people have had the most success in using with Ubuntu?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Best Laptop For Ubuntu?

I doubt there is such a thing as a best laptop... From my experience Dell should be a good choice though. I'm writing this from a Dell Vostro 1720 running Kubuntu 9.10 and everything's working great. I also heard other linux users being very pleased with Dell computers.
    You might also want to have a look at the Hardware Compatibility List, though you will not find a short and definite answer there.

Hope you'll find something that you'll be happy with

I have a Dell. Ubuntu runs without any problems on it.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Same here. Have a Dell Studio 1555 runs like a champ. 64 bit, 2 Gb memory, 200 Gb Hdd.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Same here. Have a Dell Studio 1555 runs like a champ. 64 bit, 2 Gb memory, 200 Gb Hdd.....
    I think I'm going to spring for a Studio 1555 - I was leaning towards it to begin with, and with confirmation that it works with Ubuntu, my mind is made up.

What version of Ubuntu are you running on it? Are there any glitches that you had to work through?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

I'm running Ubuntu on an HP DV series laptop. It's been great. It's much more enjoyable to use now that I have ditched Vista.