Thread: blkid only finds the Swap Partition

Beans

blkid only finds the Swap Partition

This is on a Karmic 9.10 (Ubuntu Studio on a Laptop) which I restarted this morning (after about two weeks of use). Then Grub 2 (1.97 beta4) was not able to find the UUID.
    blkid (after the recoveryboot fails) only finds the Swap. /dev/disk/by-uuid only contains the symlink to the swap (sda5) but no to the main ext4 partition (sda1).

blkid
    /dev/sda5: UUID="d05f2f1a-c59e-4582-8eef-b1b04f1f247d" TYPE="swap"

Creating a symlink in /dev/disk/by-uuid with the "correct" UUID to ../../sda1 and then continue the boot seems to work somewhat and the filesystem works. But since I get there by using the Recover version I can't do much more and the symlink doesn't "stick" (completly unsure if it should since this is a ramdisk or similar?).
    Trying to do the same with the normal boot doesn't work for me since the normal boot ends somwhere after the splash screen (infinitly waiting for the / mount to a UUID that doesn't exist.

After mount the /etc/fstab looks like this:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=eb381fee-05f1-4c37-a249-db97030cf022 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=d05f2f1a-c59e-4582-8eef-b1b04f1f247d none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    Starting from a LiveUSB and using the Disk utility finds the main partition but list it as "Linux (0x83)" with no file system.
    sudo fdisk -l gives
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000c96a9

Device Boot       Start         End        Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *            1        18662    149902483+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda2            18663        19457      6385837+   5  Extended
    /dev/sda5            18663        18457      6385837   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sda1 returns
    "Disk /dev/sda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table"

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt -t ext4 works and the files are all there, so the disk itself is not the cause.

I guess that manually creating the UUID symlink is just a debugging effort and there must be something that blkid is missing.
    Would recreating the MBR help (just swinging in the dark here)?

Edit: Another similar thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1275144
    Last edited by NiklasFalk; January 4th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.

Beans

Re: blkid only finds the Swap Partition

try this command and see if the uuid is listed after that:
    Code:
    $sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

Beans

That did complain a bit about invoking init.d (something about being converted to an upstart process). If I tried as "service" it just informed me that udev was running.

But after editing the Grub2 entry (the recovery one) to point directly to root=/dev/sda1 and then booting I can now get the UUID with blkid (not the first try but the second and after that) and resuming boot works (startx etc). A new reboot with the defult Grub2 entry (using the UUID) now works as before.

Could this be a warning to get a new disk if the inability to get a UUID is hardware related?
    The disk is a quite recent Sata 2.5", isn't those "SMART" enabled or similar (and there might be a tool available to analyze the amount of failures)?

Beans

it could be related. maybe you can try contacting the manufacturer and see what they have to say about it?

Beans

Found the SMART info in the disk utility and it report no problems at all with the drive.

Hmm, lets copy/move more documents/files to the NAS (good practice anyway) and hope that the next time this happens is resolved as easilly.

I'm quess this can be called "solved" but not really (since I have no idea what action made the issue go away).

Beans

Thx for your info. I had exactly the same problem. Just suddenly my second partition (my ubuntu root) was not reported any more by blkid and could not be mounted using its UUID on startup. I did a filesystem check using fsck but I think this might not be a filesystem but partition table issue...

After I booted using linux ... root=/dev/sdaX ... it worked again, so it is a good work-around. blkid did not find the partition but a sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda2 did actually listed the UUID. This is strange! I don't know where to report a bug...

greetings pklaus
    Last edited by exXplode; March 24th, 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: more information on my issues added

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried what was said here and edited /etc/grub.d/linux_10 where root=... to root=/dev/sda1. That didn't solve anything for me .