Thread: Live CD Help

Question Live CD Help

I have a Gateway NV7915u laptop and i cant not get Ubuntu to boot from a live cd. It will start to load but then it says that it can not mount and starts limited shell command. I can use the same live cd to boot ubuntu on my desktop which is a few years older than my brand new laptop. any suggestions on how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated. (laptop is running windows 7 as primary os and desktop is running windows xp if that makes any difference)

Re: Live CD Help

I also purchased a Gateway nv7915u from Best Buy. BTW you may be able to save some money on the purchase by using Bing product search... I found a link which gave me 5% and I found others reporting 10%.

That is beside the point... I followed the guide by Bill Giannakos to get Ubuntu up and running... I used the latest kernel at the time and found success:

$ cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.33-020633-generic (root@zinc) (gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #020633 SMP Thu Feb 25 10:10:03 UTC 2010

Also I must say there are very few machines that have the same VALUE. 1600x900/CoreI3/4GB/500GB/DescentDesign...

I found this post when searching for help with getting the audio working correctly. The capacitive volume buttons appear to work but I do not hear anything coming from the speakers. Also my LCD dimming hotkeys work in the same sense that they display the indicator but the LCD does not change brightness. Anyone care to help with this?