Thread: way to find all commands related to desktop management?

Beans

way to find all commands related to desktop management?

There are times that the desktop environment is messed-up and all the icons disappear, with opened terminal windows kept. I want to log out with command in terminal, and search:
    Code:
    man -k log out
    just gave lots of commands and i tried some but none work. So i have to "sudo shutdown -r".

At last google helped me and i know gnome-session-save --kill could log one off.

The question is, is there a way for people finding what commands could be used to perform the same as the regular operations with GUI in the desktop environment?

P.S. The network management GUI of Karmic always fails to initiate the NIC for me. So i wrote a script ready to use anytime.

P.P.S. Any suggestions to improve the "man -k" search instead of "man -k log out" are also welcome. I have to agree the man -k can't compete google. But google demands us to be online, what if something unknown happens to your Ubuntu to stop you go online?
    Last edited by silencej; March 19th, 2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: modify a command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: way to find all commands related to desktop management?

This would be a great resource that I would use. I don't think it really exists right now.

I logout on the command line with this:
    Code:
    gnome-session-save --logout
    A lot of file commands can be performed the same as with a gui file manager (such as nautilus) with
    Code:
    gvfs-<some_command>.
    More complicated commands use dbus-send.

Others?

Beans
    Hidden!

i usually just kill gdm if things bork like that. ill ctrl+alt+F1 to the shell then issue
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    although that might not be preferable

Beans

Thanks guys. We now have more than one option when coming across gdm-brokedown.