Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mic not Working Ubuntu 9.10

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mic not Working Ubuntu 9.10

I've seen the other threads and have tried their solutions (and have been confused by their solutions), but am still not able to make my mic work on two separate computers.

Thought I'd start fresh.

How can I get my MIC working? What's the magic pill?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Mic not Working Ubuntu 9.10

Right click speaker/sound applet icon and select "Sound Preferences" and then the "Input" tab. Make sure volume is up and Mute is off. My solution to this issue involved trial and error. In the "Choose a device for sound input:" box you may see two items with the 1st selected. In my case both were described the same "Internal Audio Analog Stereo". Select the 2nd and the "Connector" bar select "Analog Microphone / Input 1 / Microphone 1". Now speak into your microphone and observe the "Input Level:" which should now respond to your voice. If that doesn't work try all the other settings until one dose.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

this is what I did to get mine working- open up your sound recorder app, then open sound preferences, and then on the input tab put the connector option to 'line-in'. Finally, up top where it says 'input volume' make sure that is not on mute and is audible at somewhere around 100. That should fix u up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for both your suggestions. I may try the latter later today.

//Make sure volume is up and Mute is off. //

I tried that earlier.

//In the "Choose a device for sound input:" box you may see two items with the 1st selected.//

I only have one. Unfortunately, I have no mic option in the latest incarnation of this control panel.

//Now speak into your microphone and observe the "Input Level:" which should now respond to your voice. If that doesn't work try all the other settings until one does.//

What I've got to do, as Honey Toast suggests, is to find a recorder app. With that in mind, what app did you use to pick "line in"?

Beans
    Distro

"Line in" and "Microphone" are different jacks on most mother boards. The difference may be that "Line in" is for amplified input. In my case my TV card has an external sound jack which connects to "Line in".
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    "Line in" and "Microphone" are different jacks on most mother boards. The difference may be that "Line in" is for amplified input. In my case my TV card has an external sound jack which connects to "Line in".
    Yes, so I have to wonder why Linux is only offering me the internal mic? Anyway... I've got to sort this out on two different computers (my wife's). I've yet to try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just an update. I still haven't been able to get my mic working - and that's driving me nuts because, otherwise, Ubuntu has been flawless on my computer. Flawless. I've tried using Audacity to finesse Ubuntu, but no luck. It's as if Ubuntu doesn't even know an input jack exists?

Beans

The same problem here! I have a Vaio NS-series, which built-in microphone works wonderfully in Windows, but I can't get it to work in -this incredible thing that is- Ubuntu 9.10! I tried all the options in Sound Preferences, and even tried to install ALSA (which is installed, but does not appear as an option other than Pulse Audio).

I have three options for input: "Microphone 1", "Microphone 2" and "line-in", but none seems to work. If I can get it to work, I will post it here.

Beans
    Distro

Devices on desktop computers are interfaced to in consistent ways. One driver works for all hardware within a particular OS. For example all SD card readers are USB. Laptops are a different story and SD readers for example may be interfaced to with a less expensive to manufacture chip set. I can't help but wonder if that might be the case for a laptop microphone. The implication is the microphone interface for your laptop may be unique and require a special driver. Just food for thought.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans

[Solution found! At least for me...] Re: Mic not Working Ubuntu 9.10

It worked! Unfortanetly by "magic" ...

I tried one method, but I think you can try this one first:

1st method: (I don't know if it really works)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
    If this does not work, you can try the method that I did use.

2nd method:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
    Than I followed the steps in ALSA v1.0.21 Upgrade Script. Which not only did not work for my micro, but you will not have the sound control GUI, and my sound did not work as well. So I did:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove alsa-oss aconnectgui alsa-firmware-drivers
    sudo apt-get install pulse audio
    I don't know very well the connections between alsa and others programs, so I didn't tried something like "remove alsa*". Maybe the update of alsa that I did changed some file that is also used by pulseaudio, which made it work. As I said, try the "1st method first", and let me know how it worked. I hope this explanation is not so confuse (english is not my first language), so any doubt about my text you can ask me!
    Last edited by Endless_Nameless; February 24th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast