Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing ubuntu 9.10 problems

Beans

Installing ubuntu 9.10 problems

I have searched for (and found) similar threads on this but I am still having troubles.......

I have installed ubuntu on a _brand_new_ hard-drive and I am running into troubles!!!

This should be a complete shoe-in... but alas, it is not working that way.

After a "successful" installation, I am receiving an error:

error: no such device: <a very nasty string>

Failed to boot default entries

I have booted off the CD rom (install ISO) and made sure that the harddrive was bootable via the ubuntu disk util

I even modified the boot script - from directions from two other similar threads... but I am still running into troubles.

When I boot and am presented with the selection screen and press 'e' and remove the line:

search --no floppy --fs-uuid.......

then all boots up fine!!!

I also modified my grub-mkconfig-lib as per instructions on another post too... and still no luck!!!

Help!

We are really trying here but slowly my son is turning back to the "dark side" (otherwise known as Windoze) and I am trying to save him! <grin>

Many thanks for any help!
    -Raymond

Beans

Re: Installing ubuntu 9.10 problems

Wow, same for me (ubuntuserver 9.10), I got initially got the grub rescue> messages when I installed using LVM. Re-installed without LVM got rid of that - and just the problem detailed here.
    Deleted the line as per OP, and much to my delight boot!
    System uses a VIA chipset, if that is at all relevant. (Has been an issue for me with NVIDIA vdpau in mythbuntu) Also there is no floppy drive, if that is at all relevant.
    OK, do a quick sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade
    Optomistically....Reboot....Same problem again.....
    Hmmm.
    Press e while Grub loading for the grub editor....yep that lines back there...ok Delete. Boots again.
    Get an error message that ACPI: I/O resource via686a conflicts with ACPI region. Hmmm.
    I might try commenting out the same line that is in grub.cfg (2 times - lines 52 and 61)
    Booting is slow....but yep that overcame the initial error message issue - so at least now I can do an auto reboot however seems this hack can probably be improved on!
    Addendum: having read some more about this it may also be relevant this is using a 320G HDD however the BIOS only reports ~
    139Gb which may be why a file is not found?
    Last edited by Varingo; January 14th, 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Beans

Thanks Varingo,

At least I don't feel alone... but this is not exactly fun either

I will keep editing the script for now...

It appears like some others are having this trouble as well but their solutions have not worked for me so far...

Thanks,
    -Raymond

Beans

Weird, I just tried adding another ubuntu box onto the same shared ATEN KVM Switch CS-84A and got a similar grub login failure using mythbuntu 9.10. Changing it back to the original ATEN Petite KVM it will start again....so check if a KVM is part of the problem?

Beans

could you boot with the livecd and download and run meierfra's script and post the generated RESULTS.txt?
    I'm not antisocial. I'm just not user friendly...
    Open Linux Forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same type of issues here. I have tried to install 9.10 on two different machines both installation failed. I am now downloading a new CD to see what the trouble is but I have the feeling that the CD is not my problem.

Beans

I hope this helps, as attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

are you using a customized kernel?
    vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic-pae isn't a generic kernel
    I'm not antisocial. I'm just not user friendly...
    Open Linux Forums

Beans

Exclamation Re: Installing ubuntu 9.10 problems

To state the obvious try burning the CD at a low speed, my own experiance of the Karmic Koala update was anything but Karmic.

I am using Cornominals (#!) Crunchbang distribution of Ubuntu with the OpenBox desktop manager and someone told me to update would be as simple as installing the Update Manager and clicking check for update, which I did & then all hell broke loose!

For some reason, it installs Xsplash instead of Usplash, so say goodbye to X booting you to the lovely skinned GDM Theme you have set-up as your desktop greeting, then after you fight with it for about 2 hours you'll finally figure out you can get a shell by pressing ALT+CTRL and one of the F-Keys to bring you to a terminal login, then you have the resounding pleasure of having to replace, XFCE, LXDE or OpenBox with a full install of Gnome at which point you'll find much as I did that at last you get a Graphical log-on but the splash theme wont be your nice custom one anymore!

Worse the GDM Theme utility is gone as this was supposedly a speed increase according to the Ubuntu /devs and you now have Grub 2 which I found was a little slower than Grub 1.5

After you try to fix X you may find yourself borking the system to death much as I myself did (and that was after fixing gnome!), I feel I must point out as I am not a support Guru that when things start to go wrong, they can go very wrong very quickly.

In the end a complete re-install only to have to reinstall all the Applications and custom packages that you may have spent weeks downloading and building and tweaking by hand.

Oh what fun!

If you have a working system, set-up & lovingly tweeked the way you want it, then avoid upgrading just for upgradings sake as it is far from Karmic and you'll be wondering what god of the ancient tao you've managed to upset so badly that they would want to inflict such suffering upon you!
    Last edited by U_Academical; January 16th, 2010 at 02:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leppie View Post
    are you using a customized kernel?
    This is standard ubuntuserver 9.10 with default updates as offered.
    (Not that the updates made any difference)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast