8 21.05%
  • I dont care about Linux ovi suite

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Ovi suite and PC Suite for linux

Beans

Lightbulb Nokia Ovi suite and PC Suite for linux

Hi everybody owning a Nokia!

We all hope Nokia will make a suite for linux for syncing, transferring media and downloading maps and for updating the firmware. The least we all could do is to give a vote on the Nokia Betalabs site http://betalabs.nokia.com/forum/topic/3210
    You have to sign up to post, but lets not let it stop us. Lets get hundreds or thousands of votes for Linux ovi suite!

Please spread the link to other forums and to users of other Distros, spread the word using facebook, twitter or anything. This is our chance!

Here is a link to a good solution while we wait...
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ux_and_S60.php and http://mobileyog.blogspot.com/2009/1...ndar-from.html
    They show you how to sync Nokia S60, outlook, thunderbird, Evolution, Kmail, Ovi sync, contacts, calendar, todo's, notes, gmail, hotmail and almost everything. They also show how to sync music, transfer images, transfer files, connect to the interenet using your phone.
    Last edited by markosp; November 30th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nokia Ovi suite and PC Suite for linux

@markosp, Many Thanks for mentioning my post here. I also really want to see Nokia porting OVI suite to Linux. This will help many Nokia users who use Linux. Otherwise we need to use Windows for only few things like this. I fully support this idea and will try to spread word about this so we get lots of votes and support.

Beans

Hello,

I developed an alternative for Linux - at least for S60 phones. It is available here. It offers an extensive message management (with a history browser, "chat"-function and statistics), contact management (add/edit/delete contacts) and a basic file management.

Feel free to contact me about any issues and general feedback.
    Lukas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Could you please provide detailed how-to to actually install and use it? e.g How can i install it on ubuntu?
    I find rpm file which needs some converter(alien). right?

More details will be useful for users not so with ease with ubuntu.
    Also do i need to install that sis file to phone to get this working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@Lucas, I am trying to spread word about your application on twitter and among my geek friends. Why dont you please spread the word via blog or via Nokia Support discussions or Betalabs?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by suyog View Post
    Could you please provide detailed how-to to actually install and use it? e.g How can i install it on ubuntu?
    I find rpm file which needs some converter(alien). right?
    Hello,
    download the source package and follow the instructions in the INSTALL file.
    Use this command to install the dependencies:
    sudo aptitude install python python-obexftp python-matplotlib python-bluez python-qt4 python-qt4-sql sqlite3 libqt4-sql-sqlite

Quote Originally Posted by suyog View Post
    More details will be useful for users not so with ease with ubuntu.
    Also do i need to install that sis file to phone to get this working?
    Yes, this is required too - but the first run wizard will handle this.

Beans

Smile Ovi services Linux

At least ovi music works in the browser now.

I could say thanks Nokia

Lets hope they make the rest work when they come out with meego.
    Last edited by markosp; November 22nd, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can confirm that series60-remote works well with nokia N82 (symb^2 v35.0.002) as well with Nokia 5230 (v.unknown)
    works over bluetooth
    functions:
    *edit calendar, phonebook, sms
    *export contacts, messages HTML, CSV, vCard, ldif (calendar export can't get active - *maybe thru support forum it's possible)
    *import contacts and messages
    *browse phone and card memory (this is also possible through bluetooth applet on GNOME))
    issues:
    *does not present images added to contacts (only one from many was presented - don't know if this is problem for any other user)
    *some mismatch with sms presenting and statistics on PC after another device (nokia 5230) was connected

suppose that there is no option to connect with data cable but as far as there is option to buy bluetooth receiver on dealextreme for some 1-2$, this is not an problem any more

install (Application version: 0.4.80 (0.5.0 - Alpha 1)
    quite easy on ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks to everyone who has worked on Nokia suite alternatives.

I'd still rather see an official Nokia Ovi or PC Suite for Linux.

Since the PC Suite is written in Qt, and Qt runs on Linux, what's the problem? And it's not as if Bluetooth doesn't work in Linux. It does, and it works great with Nokia phones.

So, please, Nokia, get with the program.

Alternatively, please provide the documentation the community needs to create their own phone suites.

Beans

I too wonder what the problem is. I think its funny that my Microsoft bluetooth mouse works much better in Ubuntu than in Windows. Also Dial-Up-Network over bluetooth or usb is much easier and more stable than in Windows.
    Actually I have only two things that are harder to do on Ubuntu: 1. Using Microsoft update
    2. using Nokia phones... Everything else works lots better in Linux.
    3. finding the viruses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast