Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem mounting NFS v3 in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Red face Problem mounting NFS v3 in Karmic

I have a file server (hostname 'ubuntu') running Ubuntu Server 8.04, from which I have exported user home directories and some other dirs with NFS. My workstation (hostname 'kontor') is running Ubuntu Desktop 9.04 AMD64, and I have setup automounting of the NFS exports from the server--including user home directories--using autofs/NFS v3 mounts.

This has been working very well, until I upgraded 'kontor' to 9.10 yesterday. Autofs refuses to mount the NFS shares from the server, making it impossible to login with X (since home dirs are not being mounted). Here is what shows up in /var/log/syslog:

Code:
    Oct 31 19:33:39 kontor automount[6291]: >> mount.nfs: mount to NFS server 'ubuntu:/exports/home/chrisha' failed: RPC Error: Success
    Oct 31 19:33:39 kontor automount[6291]: mount(nfs): nfs: mount failure ubuntu:/exports/home/chrisha on /home/chrisha
    Oct 31 19:33:39 kontor automount[6291]: failed to mount /home/chrisha
    I have checked that the /etc/auto.* files are unaltered by the upgrade. Here is my auto.master file:

Code:
    /store	/etc/auto.ubuntu.rosef.local
    /home	/etc/auto.home
    And the auto.home file:

Code:
    chrisha		-nosuid,rw,hard,intr,rsize=16384,wsize=16384	ubuntu:/exports/home/chrisha
    I have tried to mount my home dir manually at a different mount point:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /root/chrisha
    sudo mount ubuntu:/exports/home/chrisha /root/chrisha
    but this only replicates the error message from /var/log/syslog:

Code:
    mount.nfs: mount to NFS server 'ubuntu:/exports/home/chrisha' failed: RPC Error: Success
    Googling the error message leads me to this page, indicating that the error message may be related to a problem with incorrect NFS protocol version. If I try to force NFS v2, the dir mounts:

Code:
    sudo mount ubuntu:/exports/home/chrisha /root/chrisha -o nfsvers=2
    I have a laptop running Ubuntu Desktop 9.04 i386, running the same automount setup as 'kontor' (except for the home dir, which is stored locally), and on this laptop the automounts are working normally.

The versions of nfs-common are as follows:

On the 8.04 server ('ubuntu'): 1.1.2
    On the 9.04 laptop: 1.1.4
    On the 9.10 workstation: 1.2.0

I guess the workstation had 1.1.4 before the upgrade. The problem in Debian bug
    is related to 1.1.5.

Is it possible that the problem might be related to changes from nfs-common version 1.1.4 -> 1.1.5 ? Would it be possible to downgrade nfs-common in 9.10 to version 1.1.4 to see if that solves the problem?

Suggestions are highly welcome!

Beans

Re: Problem mounting NFS v3 in Karmic

I can no longer connect to my NFS server since my client machine was upgraded to Karmic as well. I wiped the machine and did a complete install of karmic from scratch (to fix the broken wifi) and still was unable to mount my nfs shares.

Same error: mount.nfs mount to nfs server 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/mnt/remote' failed: rpc error: success

Neither the client nor the server have a firewall running and the client's IP is correct. The server doesn't even log a connection from the client.

If I do rpcinfo -p server.ip.address
    I see the server is running on the std ports both udp and tcp, which is obvious because my 9.04 clients can still connect. What I did notice is the NFS version on the server is 2.

I'm wondering if there is a compatibility issue as Mahesh78 alluded to.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Beans

After fiddling with it some more, that was the problem. The fix was to add the nfs version option to the command line or fstab on the client side.

From command line:
    sudo mount -t nfs xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/export/dir /mnt/remote -o nfsvers=2

in fstab:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/export/dir /mnt/remote nfs user,sync,nfsvers=2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sparken View Post
    After fiddling with it some more, that was the problem. The fix was to add the nfs version option to the command line or fstab on the client side.

From command line:
    sudo mount -t nfs xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/export/dir /mnt/remote -o nfsvers=2
    I'm aware that the 'nvsvers=2' option makes a connection possible. There are, however, several reasons for not using NFS v2, take a look here: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/#section_a

For instance, there's a 2GB file limit, and also a limit on the max size of read/write operations, possibly degrading performance.

I'm currently working on switching to NFS v4, which seems to work in Ubuntu 9.10. I was assuming that you need a Kerberos server (or similar) in order to launch NFS v4 file sharing, but this is not the case. I'll report back when I have it up and running.

We should probably bug report the lack of NFSv3-connectivity in Ubuntu 9.10. Don't see why this shouldn't work, at least as longs as NFSv2 is working!
    Last edited by Mahesh78; November 3rd, 2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 I'm getting the aforementioned error as well :

Code:
    mount.nfs: mount to NFS server 'some-server-location' failed: RPC Error: Success
    I'm a bit stumped as to what this is as after my first boot all seemed ok (actually got some faster upload speeds with my wireless network) and my NFS shares worked. Only since yesterday the NFS mounts started failing.

Note : I did a clean Ubuntu 9.10 install as well.
    Last edited by Mies; November 4th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Problem mounting NFS v3 in Karmic

Exactly the same problem:

I upgraded to 9.10 from 9.04. My nfs in 9.04 works great, but after the upgrade this is the error:

mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '192.168.0.1:/var/www' failed: RPC Error: Success

OK RESOLVED.
    My server is version 2, and my client in ubuntu9.10 is version 3.
    Used what Sparken sggested.

in fstab:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/export/dir /mnt/remote nfs user,sync,nfsvers=2
    Last edited by uflotest; November 4th, 2009 at 09:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same problem here folks, I have a file server running karmic, and I can't connect anymore from OS X.

I can't run NFSv2 since I have larger than 2GB files in my file server which I access from the client.

I'm subscribing to this thread, I hope this gets fixed soon!

Thanks all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by uflotest View Post
    Exactly the same problem:

I upgraded to 9.10 from 9.04. My nfs in 9.04 works great, but after the upgrade this is the error:

mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '192.168.0.1:/var/www' failed: RPC Error: Success

OK RESOLVED.
    My server is version 2, and my client in ubuntu9.10 is version 3.
    Used what Sparken sggested.
    I would not call using NFSv2 solving the problem; NFS version 2 has limitations compared to version 3. See post #4 in this thread.

Support for NFSv4 is *not* broken in Karmic, so if your servers supports NFSv4, try using that version. There are some good howtos around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by chiwi View Post
    Same problem here folks, I have a file server running karmic, and I can't connect anymore from OS X.

I can't run NFSv2 since I have larger than 2GB files in my file server which I access from the client.

I'm subscribing to this thread, I hope this gets fixed soon!

Thanks all.
    We should probably file a bug report on this. Anyone knows how to do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mahesh78 View Post
    We should probably file a bug report on this. Anyone knows how to do that?
    Please disregard my previous post. I've discovered that somehow the server's IP changed, that's why i couldn't connect from OS X anymore.
    I used the new IP and voilà, worked.

Now I need to figure out why the IP has changed on it's own.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast