Thread: Biotux needs contributors!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Biotux needs contributors!

This thread is somewhat outdated. Catch up with the latest HERE
    Thanks!

NEWER SCREENSHOTS

I'm currently working on an open source and free 2D game project. The name's BioTux, and it's a mix/clone of SuperTux and New Super Mario Bros. You already probably know about SuperTux, NSMB is just a completely redone mario bros production with 3D rendered "smooth" graphics, touch screen capabilities for the DS, and an altered storyplot.
    This thread is here for anyone that wants to help out- as well as get their name in the credits- OR that just can't wait for SuperTux any longer (lol, thats me if anything is!)

Here's the main areas I need help in:

-Backgrounds (this is the tough part, they have to be scrollable (i.e if you placed two of them side-by-side they would need to have no obvious "middle" OR in other words you could link two of them unnoticeably. (see attachment 1)
    Also I need some right now of volcanoes and forests if possible. And I suggest using Pixarra TwistedBrush free edition if you use Windows, Gimp if you use Linux.
    EDIT: Novashell does NOT have to have repeating backgrounds... You can make an image as large as the level if you want to. (that lets the level be a lot more flexible)
    -Sprite images (probably the most time consuming because there are so many needed. For this part let your creativity go and make whatever you like (try to keep it something that would realistically be near or in a forest such as a jaguar balled up spiralling out of a tree, a monkey throwing coconuts and so on) but keep in mind that you have to draw an image for every action they do, just look in your (supertux/data/images/shared directory if you have one.)
    -Programming
    * sighs * this is probably the least "volunteer" attractive area but unfortunately it's also the one I'm most lacking in. I am using
    NovaShell right now to build the game; it has amazing "physics" effects (i.e. if you kick a bucket at the top it will flip gracefully and bounce around when it lands. It is very realistic. Some other specifications are that it is platform-independent (as are its games,) its free, [strikeout]and that it uses the same libraries (ClanLib) that SuperTux does.[/strikeout] Actually I was just remembering FlexLay... So please check it out; you can even develop the basic game yourself and post a link to where you uploaded it somewhere if you want to. I'll look at anything you post, and if it's good, I might choose it. Thanks!
    - Ideas about the story and how the game should work
    This is for about any other ideas you have- What control keys do what, should the resolution be high or low, if Tux should find Penny in the end, you get the idea.

See the attachments for reference.

So, I hope there are some volunteers out there!

-NinjaNumberNine

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NinjaNumberNine; December 29th, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
    Volunteer artist(s) needed for open source game project!
    _________________________BioTux_________________
    ________________BioTux Development Forum__________

Beans
    Distro

Re: Biotux needs contributors!

Hrmm, doesn't seem to be that much enthusiasm out there- I'll post some screenshots of the development version in an hour or so- (sorry but I'm using some of the old sprite images for testing purposes, haven't gotten finished with the new ones )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

From the name alone I was sort of expecting BioShock with Tux as the protagonist, getting off from a huge plagued cyber-iceberg, set in the alternate '70s when only UNIX and derivatives were around.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans
    Distro

If you want to make a great game easy, (such as BioShock) I'd definitely suggest using NovaShell. Have fun! Also I'm still working on those screenshots!

EDIT: its also weird how the two projects i'm working on, aquabuntu and biotux, both have old usernames with the same name on the ubuntu forums!
    Last edited by NinjaNumberNine; October 20th, 2009 at 01:05 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharmyBee View Post
    From the name alone I was sort of expecting BioShock with Tux as the protagonist, getting off from a huge plagued cyber-iceberg, set in the alternate '70s when only UNIX and derivatives were around.
    or maybe a dystopian timeline where microsoft dominates... oh wait

@ op do you actually have something working ?

EDIT:
    why... why if youre going to spam do you A. put a link in the post that doesnt even work and B make out its your personal web page when from the link name and lack of context in the message its obviously spam
    Last edited by benj1; October 20th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
    or maybe a dystopian timeline where microsoft dominates... oh wait

@ op do you actually have something working ?

EDIT:
    why... why if youre going to spam do you A. put a link in the post that doesnt even work and B make out its your personal web page when from the link name and lack of context in the message its obviously spam
    * cries * "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

Just kidding, but you do do a little digging in with the spurs. What bad links, and what spam are you jabbering about?

EDIT: and yup I do have something working. BTW where are you (as in country)? That might explain the links, cause I checked every one and they all work.

Beans

there was a spam post just above mine saying
    this
    <snip>
    except the link didnt work

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNumberNine View Post
    * cries * "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"
    is that what this was about ?
    Last edited by cariboo; October 20th, 2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Removed spam quote

Beans
    Distro

there was a spam post just above mine saying
    this

except the link didnt work

is that what this was about ?

Hmm, well, the spam isn't there now; but what do you mean about the "is that what this is all about?"

P.S. if you know of a good free screen capture program I could make a video and convert it to a GIF to post it.

Beans

was the "LEAVE ME ALONE" regarding my spam rant or something else.

apt-cache search gives me

recordmydesktop
    and
    xvidcap

i take it you dont have code yet, im unfortunately not much of an artist so can really be of assistance there

Beans
    Distro

was the "LEAVE ME ALONE" regarding my spam rant or something else.

apt-cache search gives me

recordmydesktop
    and
    xvidcap

i take it you dont have code yet, im unfortunately not much of an artist so can really be of assistance there
    Just another thread where I was asking about a programming translator- I just didn't want to fill this thread with a bunch of arguments.
    About the video capture thing, I use Windows right now for NovaShell cause my computer isn't online at present and Ubuntu isn't that great without internet. Thus I just wondered if someone knew of a screen capture for windows such as Lotus ScreenCam.

And about the code, I don't mess with it too much- I use a graphical environment as much as possible. If you mean the game as a package file, I do have that but I haven't hosted it anywhere yet- still doing some "polishing". I think I'll manage with the art, though. There's lots of free art sources out there anyway...

Thanks for the reply though benj1.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast