Thread: terminal white screen of death after Nvidia driver update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

terminal white screen of death after Nvidia driver update.

I just got done uploading the 96.43.13 driver for my Geforce4 MX420 card run 32 Bit 8.04

I have this real weird going on when I have the normal Visual effects enabled. Everything seems to be working fine great except when I open a terminal session. I get white and nothing else...

It googled and it seemed that this was an big issue in 2007 with various hacks to fix it.
    Offhand, does anyone have a 2009 solution for this??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Install nvidia-glx

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas thomas View Post
    I just got done uploading the 96.43.13 driver for my Geforce4 MX420 card run 32 Bit 8.04

I have this real weird going on when I have the normal Visual effects enabled. Everything seems to be working fine great except when I open a terminal session. I get white and nothing else...

It googled and it seemed that this was an big issue in 2007 with various hacks to fix it.
    Offhand, does anyone have a 2009 solution for this??
    On this page somebody suggests running sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Install nvidia-glx

Sorry about taking some time to get back on this. I was hoping for some response from Nvidia... But none so far from Nvidia on this issue.( I got spoiled by a quick reponse on my first question to them.

I was able to engage my special effects momentarily but that only worked within the same session when I: sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx. Unfortunately everything got hosed when I re-booted.
    I tried running glxgears (which was running well) now gives me this message:
    jonas@Ubuntu4:~$ glxgears
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    jonas@Ubuntu4:~$

When I went to system->adminstration->hardware driver. My Nvidia proprietary driver is no-where to be seen. Yikes.....

I saw somewhere something about some tweaks to the xorg-config for LCD screens. I think I might try to re-install the Nvidia driver and try that. Although I'm real curious to see what happens when remove nvidia-glx and try to reboot. free to chime in...

[Edit]
    This seemed to fix things up just fine.
    http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showt...white+terminal
    In case the link goes away..
    That's a common problem on nvidia. Run
    Code:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24

and restart X
    Last edited by Jonas thomas; August 28th, 2009 at 04:38 AM.