Thread: Netbook Capabilities

Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Netbook Capabilities

I'm a high school English teacher. My school is in the process of installing an overhead video projector in my room. The cable run from the projector to the terminators is about 30-35 feet. In addition to showing from a DVR, I will be showing OOo presentations. It seems the simplest and most expedient thing is for me is to buy a laptop for my presentations. I am considering a System76 netbook, but I' afraid the video card will lack the power to drive a signal from my desk to the projector.

Does anyone have any idea if my presumption is true and/or have a different solution? I'm not interested in donating a lot of my money to the project.

mark c. miller
    Last edited by Eyore15; August 17th, 2009 at 01:43 AM.
    Mark C. Miller
    Indianapolis Indiana

Albert Lea, Minnesota
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Netbook Capabilities

The Starling has a VGA out port on it, but whether or not it will perform satisfactorily is hard to predict. Since Tom, the System 76 rep who usually answers questions on this forum is on vacation for a week, you may want to contact the company directly. I have been impressed with their support and willingness to answer questions. Here is a link to their web site:

Hope that this helps.