Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nVidia GeForce GT 130M compatible?

Beans

nVidia GeForce GT 130M compatible?

Hi!
    i was wondering if nVidia GeForce GT 130M is compatible with linux?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: nVidia GeForce GT 130M compatible?

Really wanting to buy a laptop with this card in it (Acer Aspire 5739G), I have been trying hard to determine the same thing. I am still not sure. Without hardware in hand its hard to tell, and I'm hesitant to buy the hardware without knowing the answer... Here is what I can say as of 8/14/09:

1. NVIDIA does not offer Linux drivers (32 bit or 64 bit) on their website, not even beta versions. I have found no information as to whether they ever will be offered, or when.

2. There are a number of complaints about a "six-screens" problem when running GT 100M-series NVIDIA GPUs in Ubuntu with the pre-packaged driver. However, at least one person (see this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=10) found that the nvidia restricted drivers actually did work with his GT 105M GPU, but that the settings had to be controlled from an nvidia app. rather than from the typical Ubuntu screen resolution menu. I can imagine this is rather confusing and might lead some to think their card is not working. I wonder if this rather minor issue with user interface is actually to blame in more cases? I imagine the GT 105M and 130M are not too different.

3. It appears that the GT 130M is the same as nvidia's 9600M GT, but produced with a finer resolution fabrication method. This, too, would lead me to believe the drivers should be readily available.

This is a pretty new GPU, but being used in a number of name-brand laptops which should get distributed widely: Lenovo, Acer, others. Linux support can't be that far off, can it?

Beans
    Distro

For anyone still following the thread, a solution to the 6-screens problem with the GT 130M on the Acer 5739G seems to have been found. In xorg.conf, set"ModeValidation" to "NoTotalSizeCheck" See this thread over at nvnews:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137379

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by tuco penguin; August 17th, 2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: typed model of video card wrong

Beans

Great solution! Worked pretty well for me! But now my 3d desktop effects are disable. Frankly, I can live with that miniscule failure of the driver, but I was just wondering if there's anything else to be done?

Beans
    Distro

Hardware accelerated graphics and no desktop effects? Whats the point?

The alternate suggestion in that thread is to alter an offensive modeline to have legal values, I think (something where end of scan is < total number of scan lines, or something like that, if I recall correctly.) Or try asking over at the nvnews forums. I assume you already tried re-enabling desktop effects and got the "driver not capable" kind of error.

Beans

Of course, the loss of desktop effects does bite a little bit... but there is a huge difference in 2D performance versus the generic drivers. I was getting tired of the excessive clipping and frame skipping from doing something as simple as watching a DVD.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm about to purchase a laptop myself--hence my interest. Which laptop make/model are you using?

Beans

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5739.

Don't let the lack of a proper driver from Nvidia not yet being out there dissuade you from buying this model of laptop, though. The price point on it is great (under $800 USD), and I get some amazing performance out of this thing. Nvidia will inevitably release a good driver for it, as they almost always provide proper Linux support given enough time.

And the laptop itself is a solid machine. Large, decent processor, 1 GB on board video card, etc etc. Good stuff for the price.

Beans
    Distro

Glad to hear it. You confirm all my thoughts about this laptop. I ordered one two days ago... it should arrive tomorrow! Can't wait.

Beans

And as I mentioned, use the fix linked to above to get the nvidia driver working (at least partially). Have fun with your laptop! I'm certainly enjoying mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast