Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No free space

Beans

No free space

I am brand new to Ubantu and Linux. (I can hear the sniggers already *got to love newbies eh?*)

Not so sure with that attitude already on the thread how this is going to be received.

I down loaded the OS from the main site and burnt it to CD. I installed it from said CD.

I tried to update the system and it says not enough space, 2 gig used of 2.3. Seems a lot of space for Linux to be using but that is what the Disc Usage Analyser reports.

I created a partition for Ubantu to go onto but got very confused by the installation process so have no no idea where it actually is. (Yeah I know laugh here) How can I firstly find out where it has taken up lodgings and 2ndly give it more space as there is 50g available.

Thanks

Shenachie

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: No free space

The System Requirements of the default desktop installtion says 4GB for bare minimum and 8GB recommended.

EDIT: There's a link for that page in http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    Last edited by Tibuda; July 17th, 2009 at 08:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi - I'ved moved your post to a new thread.

Can you open a terminal from the Apps>Accessories menu. You will need to use your password for the first command - it will not be visible as you type - this is normal.

Please run these commands and post the outputs you get here - it makes it easier to read if you use code tags, to do that put [code] at the beginning of the paste and [/code]

The commands I want you to run are

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    df -h
    That is a lower case L not a 1.

Once you've done that - reboot with the livecd and we can look at getting you some more space.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Shenachie View Post
    I am brand new to Ubantu and Linux. (I can hear the sniggers already *got to love newbies eh?*)

Not so sure with that attitude already on the thread how this is going to be received.

I down loaded the OS from the main site and burnt it to CD. I installed it from said CD.

I tried to update the system and it says not enough space, 2 gig used of 2.3. Seems a lot of space for Linux to be using but that is what the Disc Usage Analyser reports.

I created a partition for Ubantu to go onto but got very confused by the installation process so have no no idea where it actually is. (Yeah I know laugh here) How can I firstly find out where it has taken up lodgings and 2ndly give it more space as there is 50g available.

Thanks

Shenachie
    Hi Shenachie,

Welcome.

The 2.3GB install is a common mistake/problem. But, the forum is here to help.

Here's what I suggest. Create a new thread with an appropriate title and in your first post, be decriptive of what you installed (wubi or staright-up Ubuntu), your install procedures and the output of

Code:
    df -h
    To make that output, go to terminal (applications > accessories) and type/copy&paste the above command. You will be asked for your password which when you type, will not be shown on the terminal. With the output, just hightlight it and paste back in your thread.

Also, if you can (while you are at the terminal)

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    (small L, not 1 nor i)

We'll go from there.

EDIT : sorry ForestPixie .... I type so slow.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

I do not understand this code matter , but have tried it as well as a straight copy and paste.

Code:
    pete@pete-laptop:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x06d8cc68

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1        1402    11261533+  12  Compaq diagnostics
    /dev/sda2   *        1403       10446    72638464    6  FAT16
    /dev/sda3           10446       19457    72387584    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x06d8cc6a

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1               1       19131   153669726    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb2           19132       19457     2618595    5  Extended
    /dev/sdb5           19132       19435     2441848+  83  Linux
    /dev/sdb6           19436       19457      176683+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    pete@pete-laptop:~$ df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb5             2.3G  2.1G  148M  94% /
    tmpfs                1006M     0 1006M   0% /lib/init/rw
    varrun               1006M  104K 1006M   1% /var/run
    varlock              1006M     0 1006M   0% /var/lock
    udev                 1006M  176K 1006M   1% /dev
    tmpfs                1006M  484K 1006M   1% /dev/shm
    lrm                  1006M  2.4M 1004M   1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
    pete@pete-laptop:~$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not understand this code matter , but have tried it as well as a straight copy and paste.

Code:
    pete@pete-laptop:~$ df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb5             2.3G  2.1G  148M  94% /
    What the code is telling you is that your system partition is 2.3GB and the installation is already taking up 2.1GB of space. You simply do not have a large enough partition allocated to / to run properly.

Your options are to take some space from Windows and give it to Ubuntu by manually repartitioning your hard drive or reinstalling and allowing Ubuntu to do it for you.

If you decide to repartition the drive yourself, you should backup your data, run defrag at least once, and then shrink your Windows partition (sdb1). You will then have to expand the "extended partition" (sdb2) to incorporate the free space, then expand your Ubuntu partition (sdb5). If you have the space give Ubuntu a minimum of 10GB.

Repartitioning Windows is probably best done from within Windows, but the application "gparted" when used from the LiveCD can also accomplish these tasks.
    Last edited by drs305; July 17th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I think I can do that but how do I tell the distro (hey techie talk!) where to take up residence as this is where I fell foul already.

Pete

Beans

hi pete,

at this point, it looks like you will want to resize the ubuntu partition from 2.3 gigs to at least 8. that means ~6 gigs less for windows. make sure you have that much free space in windows!

please read all directions prior to doing anything, so you have a grasp of what we will be doing.

if the power goes out or there is an earthquake or something while resizing partitions, you could potentially lose all the data on your hard drive. get a good backup before we start resizing partitions.

it also can't hurt to defrag windows first.

boot from the live cd.

applications -> accessories -> terminal

Code:
    sudo gparted
    right click on your ubuntu and windows partitions and select 'unmount'. if this is greyed out, that means it is already done, no big deal.

to resize, you will first need to shrink the windows partition.

right click -> resize. adjust the little slider thingie to free up as much space as you desire (6 gigs minimum, as we established earlier). make sure you move the slider from the correct side -- the graphical picture of the boxes should show you which side you need to move inward.

once that is done, resize the ubuntu partition to take up the newly-freed space.

make sure the dog/baby/terrorist/cookie-monster is locked up so as not to attack the power chord while this is going on, and hit apply.

this will take a while.

EDIT: the poster above me is correct, it is best to shrink the windows partition using a windows tool and not gparted, especially if it is windows vista.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok - whle you might not understand the code thing - you have done it

What you will need to do is - resize the ntfs partition, resize the extended then resize the partition with the install on - this sounds much worse than it actually is.

Boot the livecd - in the Sys Admin menu - open Partition Editor. Once it has opened, in the top right corner you should see sda - change that from the drop down to sdb

Now - right click the swap partition and turn it off.

Now right click on the ntfs partition - resize - move the slider to the left so that there is enough space for the linux install - this is up to you, but I would be looking to have at least 10Gb in total once you have finished.

It depends on how much free space there is on the ntfs drive.

Once that has finished resizing. Right click on the extended and resize it top take up the unallocated space.

Once that has finished - you need to move the install partition all the way to the left then resize it to take up the unallocated space.

It is likely to take a long time to do, do not assume that gparted has hung.

If there is data on sdb1 - the NTFS partition you cannot afford to lose make sure you have suitable backups.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think I can do that but how do I tell the distro (hey techie talk!) where to take up residence as this is where I fell foul already.

Pete
    Hi Pete.

Just want to be clear here.

Are you going to re-install..... or..... Are you planning to "shrink-windows-and-then-enlarge-existing-ubuntu-to-take-up-the-freed-space"?

EDIT : oops. did not see forestpixie's post. I do type so slow.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast