Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the noise for Chromium and not Iron?

Beans

Why the noise for Chromium and not Iron?

Hello folks,

I recently came across the Iron Browser and was astonished to find out that Google Chromium is tracking so much and collecting information about so many user-side events...

Check out the project site here: http://www.srware.net/en/software_sr...me_vs_iron.php and tell me how is it possible there is no PPA for Iron but one for Chromium?

Do you like to be tracked like a number?

Beans

Re: Why the noise for Chromium and not Iron?

what does it track?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by defcon3 View Post
    ... tell me how is it possible there is no PPA for Iron but one for Chromium?
    Let me guess: Because there is no linux port of Iron yet?

Beans

Wouldn't hurt if any of you actually read the link before commenting, would it?

1) Apparently each Chrome browser has a way to be identified, i.e. the user behind it may be assigned a "profile" of behavior - targeted advertising

2) the Iron source code is available just like the Chromium is - question was why do you think it gets no attention for its own PPA?

cheers

Beans

2) the Iron source code is available just like the Chromium is - question was why do you think it gets no attention for its own PPA?
    For crying out loud: It is the source code for the windows version. It probably would not even compile on linux much less produce anything the would be able to run on linux!

Beans
    Hidden!

Wouldn't hurt if any of you actually read the link before commenting, would it?

1) Apparently each Chrome browser has a way to be identified, i.e. the user behind it may be assigned a "profile" of behavior - targeted advertising

cheers
    Probably because it doesn't run on Linux yet.

Here's a Linux Magazine article you might want to read.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...tead-of-Chrome
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans

Thank you for the link - apparently we'll have to wait for the linux port, huh...

Beans

Also, these issues have been discussed at great length already. For google's take on it see for example here:
    http://www.google.com/support/chrome...?answer=107684

Whether you find these answers good enough or not is of course for you to decide, but please stop acting as if there is some evil conspiracy that you just uncovered.

Google is after all pretty open about what it does and most importantly, it released the code and so made a project like Iron possible.

Beans

Thank you for the link - apparently we'll have to wait for the linux port, huh...
    Now really Mister "Wouldn't hurt if any of you actually read the link before commenting, would it?" ...

Beans

You are absolutely right. I apologize for the quicker-than-thought fingers on the keyboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast