Thread: Beowulf Cluster

Beans

Question Beowulf Cluster

Hey Ubuntu Users!

I was recently given a challenge by my Adv. Networking teacher to create a Beowulf Cluster and after using Ubuntu (Since about version 8. something, i forget) I immediately thought of Ubuntu as the perfect OS for running a cluster computer.

I was wondering if you guys(or girls) had any ideas on which version to use, or if you have recently created a cluster computer and have any tips.

Thank You!

Hans4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Beowulf Cluster

Hey,

I've been thinking about starting a cluster.

How have you done it? Can you give any useful links? extra info etc.

I'd be really grateful

M.

Beans

Hey M.

No, I have not created any clusters but have been researching how to create one for about a year now. (Using Google, and all that good stuff) And i have found next to nothing explaining how to actually create one, or which OS to use.

I figured that I would find an OS and then just build from there, and thats why i am here; to see if anyone knows of a form of Ubuntu that could run a cluster computer.

Hans

Beans

As I write this reply, your post is sitting right under a monster thread regarding clustering. I think if you go through those 22 or so pages, you'll get a good idea what you'll need to do.

Beans

Howdy to anyone still reading my thread considering the thread mine is sitting under.

I have just realised that there is no way for me to set up a Cluster Computer to do what i want. I wish it were possible right now but it just isnt to have a head of a cluster automatically split threads to various cores and etc. by itself. I'll tell that to my Networking Teacher and if he has a problem... well :P

So maybe i will come back in a couple of years and see it its possible then

Hans4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans4 View Post
    Howdy to anyone still reading my thread considering the thread mine is sitting under.

I have just realised that there is no way for me to set up a Cluster Computer to do what i want. I wish it were possible right now but it just isnt to have a head of a cluster automatically split threads to various cores and etc. by itself. I'll tell that to my Networking Teacher and if he has a problem... well

So maybe i will come back in a couple of years and see it its possible then
    Hello, Hans4.

Don't give up yet!

There's a lot of people talking about things like this over on our 'easy' Ubuntu clustering thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1030849

I suggest that you have a look at MPI (Message Passing Interface). You can install this very easily as LAM (Local Area Multicomputer) under Ubuntu:

Code:
      sudo aptitude install lam-dev lam-mpidoc
    You can use LAM on a single node with multiple CPU's, and it will run part of the task on each CPU. This is not a Beowulf, of course, but it is quite easy to start running MPI programs on more than one computer once you've got the idea of what MPI is all about - Why not join in the 'easy' Ubuntu clustering thread and tell us how you get on trying out LAM?

Bye,

Tony.