Thread: Jaunty - Nvidia driver says it installs, but Ubuntu will not start with it

Beans

Exclamation Jaunty - Nvidia driver says it installs, but Ubuntu will not start with it

Whenever I activate the restricted driver (1.80, or 1.73), Ubuntu fails to boot all the way in. I get dumped to a screen asking if if I want a "Low Video" mode or to try and fix it. Neither of these options works. I have to go into recovery mode from GRUB and tell it to try and fix xorg.conf to get into Ubuntu again. Any ideas?

If it helps:
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
    4GB Ram
    NVIDIA 8800GTX (BFG)(2 monitors run off this card)
    X-Fi Fatal1ty
    Hauppauge 1600

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by gohanssjn; May 2nd, 2009 at 08:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Jaunty - Nvidia driver says it installs, but Ubuntu will not start with it

Manual driver install

Select the option low video to get a desktop and be able to grab the latest driver from nvidia.

This is a dirty workaround i am using for some time now. Be sure to first download the latest linux driver from the nvidia website: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Save the driver to the desktop.

Use this at own risk, it worked for me but maybe will not for you. Read & Understand what you do.
    Maybe even print the instuctions or write them down.

First switch to a other tty by pressing ctrl+alt+F3

Now you will get a black screen where you are asked for your login name, login here to get a command line.

Stop the current grafical session
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Remove any nvidia stuff installed
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    Change to the folder where the driver is
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    Run the driver downloaded from nvidia
    Code:
    sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51.pkg1.run
    The installer will ask to create a new configuration for you, if you have a custom xorg.conf it will make a back-up. I do let it create a new xorg.conf and it never let me down before.

After driver installation start gdm again
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Maybe its not the way to go because it breaks automated installation of nvidia drivers but it takes me far less time to setup.

I hope this helps you and maybe more people
    Last edited by chaser.nl; May 4th, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot the ./ in from of the driver

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chaser.nl View Post
    Manual driver install

Run the driver downloaded from nvidia
    Code:
    sudo NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51.pkg1.run
    Ok, whenever I get to this step, it tells me the command cannot be found...

I even changed the downloaded file name to driver.run to make sure I typed it in right the first few times, same error.

Beans

This is so weird, I cannot get this package to run for the life of me

Redownloaded, no help at all.

Beans

you have to do:

sudo ./driver.run

the ./ is needed to let the shell know the file you are looking for is in your current directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Also double check your xorg.conf file. I've had issues with X not doing its job configuring it correctly, tho that may be due to having dual graphic cards. Never hurts to check it tho.
    Learn something new and have fun every day! Ubuntu!

Beans

I tried to follow your guide chaser and I get the same error as the thread starter, it simply says "./NVIDIA-blaha.run: command not found".

Doesn't matter if I rename it a.run and try sudo ./a.run , same error. However if I just type ./NVIDIA-blaha.run it'll say "Permission denied".

Any clue on why it's acting up like this :O?

Beans

I found out that I didn't have permission to run it as an executable file so I just right clicked it on my desktop, went into properties and made sure I had permission. That worked and your guide is great Chaser.

Now the moment of truth to see if it'll actually use those drivers >_<

EDIT: Worked like a charm, thanks .