Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: No sound with flash in 9.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    20

    [Fixed] No sound with flash in 9.04

    I'm sure many of you have had this problem, because a quick google search gave many relevant results. It's pretty simple, really: I try to watch flash videos with Firefox but there's no sound that comes out. I have had this same problem with 8.04, I believe, but it was fixed in 8.10.

    I have tried to remove the flashplugin-nonfree package then reinstalling it again. I purged it even. No avail.

    Is there someone who has an alternate possible solution? Thanks.
    Last edited by Lil Jimmy; May 4th, 2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: fixed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    2

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    uninstall and purge it again, and attempt to install it from the adobe flash website

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    20

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    I did the following:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove flashplugin-nonfree
    sudo apt-get --purge remove flashplugin-installer
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    Then restarted Firefox, but it's still not working.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    My dreams
    Beans
    3,534
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    Does it happen that you have two sound cards in your system? If you are not sure, please open a terminal and give the following command
    Code:
    aplay -l
    and post its output here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    20

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Also, yeah, I'm trying to get sound through my USB headset.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    My dreams
    Beans
    3,534
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Jimmy View Post
    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Also, yeah, I'm trying to get sound through my USB headset.
    OK. Then You need to install the PulseAudio Device Chooser utility from Synaptic. When you run it (it will have a menu entry in Applications → Sound & Video), left-click on its icon in the system tray and select Volume Control.

    From there you will be able to select the default card for input and output. In the Output Devices tab you should see your USB headset listed. Just right-click on it and enable the Default option to set it as the default output device, if you want.

    If after doing the above you are not getting audio from Flash through your USB headset, or if you don't want to set your USB headset as the default output device but only to use it for Flash, then the thing you need to do is, first of all, to put a Flash video playing in Firefox. Then open the PulseAudio volume control again and select the Playback tab.

    There you should see the audio stream of the Flash video listed. Right-click on it and select Move Stream... and in the list that will appear select your USB Headset. PulseAudio should remember your choice from now on.

    For this to work you'll need to set your sound playbacks (i.e. for Sound Events, Music and Movies, as you said) in your sound preferences (i.e. System → Preferences → Sound) to Autodetect. You can do the same for your inputs, set them to Autodetect, if you have specified an input device in the PulseAudio Device Chooser, for example your ATI sound card.

    Hope that helps.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Beans
    137
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Jimmy View Post
    I have had this same problem with 8.04, I believe, but it was fixed in 8.10.

    I have tried to remove the flashplugin-nonfree package then reinstalling it again. I purged it even. No avail.

    Is there someone who has an alternate possible solution? Thanks.
    I had this problem after an upgrade to 8.10 from 8.04. Just on my laptop though, my other machines didn't have the problem. For this reason and some other glitches after the upgrade, I decided to do a clean install of 9.04.

    After the install, I copied over my .mozilla folder from my old /home directory. Interesting thing #1: flash worked in firefox without having to install it. Interesting thing #2: still no sound from flash!

    My solution was to remove my old .mozilla folder and replace it with the default one from 9.04 (which I had backed up). Then when I went to a website with flash, it said no flash was installed - which I would have expected on a fresh ubuntu install anyway. I installed flash from the synaptic package manager and it now works with sound.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    225
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    OK. Then You need to install the PulseAudio Device Chooser utility from Synaptic. When you run it (it will have a menu entry in Applications → Sound & Video), left-click on its icon in the system tray and select Volume Control.

    From there you will be able to select the default card for input and output. In the Output Devices tab you should see your USB headset listed. Just right-click on it and enable the Default option to set it as the default output device, if you want.

    If after doing the above you are not getting audio from Flash through your USB headset, or if you don't want to set your USB headset as the default output device but only to use it for Flash, then the thing you need to do is, first of all, to put a Flash video playing in Firefox. Then open the PulseAudio volume control again and select the Playback tab.

    There you should see the audio stream of the Flash video listed. Right-click on it and select Move Stream... and in the list that will appear select your USB Headset. PulseAudio should remember your choice from now on.

    For this to work you'll need to set your sound playbacks (i.e. for Sound Events, Music and Movies, as you said) in your sound preferences (i.e. System → Preferences → Sound) to Autodetect. You can do the same for your inputs, set them to Autodetect, if you have specified an input device in the PulseAudio Device Chooser, for example your ATI sound card.

    Hope that helps.
    Thanks for typing all of that into this thread. I had the same problem. Reading and adapting your directions for my system got flash audio working.

    Thanks much

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    20

    Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    OK. Then You need to install the PulseAudio Device Chooser utility from Synaptic. When you run it (it will have a menu entry in Applications → Sound & Video), left-click on its icon in the system tray and select Volume Control.

    From there you will be able to select the default card for input and output. In the Output Devices tab you should see your USB headset listed. Just right-click on it and enable the Default option to set it as the default output device, if you want.

    If after doing the above you are not getting audio from Flash through your USB headset, or if you don't want to set your USB headset as the default output device but only to use it for Flash, then the thing you need to do is, first of all, to put a Flash video playing in Firefox. Then open the PulseAudio volume control again and select the Playback tab.

    There you should see the audio stream of the Flash video listed. Right-click on it and select Move Stream... and in the list that will appear select your USB Headset. PulseAudio should remember your choice from now on.

    For this to work you'll need to set your sound playbacks (i.e. for Sound Events, Music and Movies, as you said) in your sound preferences (i.e. System → Preferences → Sound) to Autodetect. You can do the same for your inputs, set them to Autodetect, if you have specified an input device in the PulseAudio Device Chooser, for example your ATI sound card.

    Hope that helps.
    Thanks! The 2nd thing worked. I didn't change the sound playbacks to autodetect, though, but yeah thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    RI
    Beans
    28
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Exclamation Re: No sound with flash in 9.04

    I'm having the same problem. Have only one audio card and i have reinstalled flash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •