Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: make ctrl-left click work as right click?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

make ctrl-left click work as right click?

My friend's laptop has a broken right button on the trackpad, making it near impossible to access the right-click menu. Is there a way for her to make a shortcut so that something like CTRL-Left-Click will act as a Right-Click? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: make ctrl-left click work as right click?

bump

Beans
    Hidden!

This seems like something that xmodmap ought to be able to do, but I can't see any way to accomplish it in the xmodmap man page. If it's possible to do, maybe this suggestion will jog someone else's memory.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Williams View Post
    If it's possible to do, maybe this suggestion will jog someone else's memory.
    Actually, it did!

Add this to /etc/rc.local (Places --> Computer --> Filesystem --> etc --> Ctrl + H --> then, open up your text editor (since right click isn't working yet) and drag rc.local to the text editor. Sorry for the explanation if you know what you're doing, but I didn't want to take any chances. )

Then add,
    Code:
    #makes right cmd right click
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 116 = whatever you want'
    Also, tapping 3 times on a touchpad is the same thing as right clicking.
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, that will set the right-hand control key to act like right mouse button. Is there a way with xmodmap to remap Ctrl+<left mouse button> so it acts like the right mouse button? I couldn't figure out a way to specify a mouse button for the keycode command.

Also, your mention of the triple-tap reminded me of something ... triple-tap doesn't work for me, but I know that synamptics touchpad can be configured to treat a two-fingered tap as a right-click. Look here for more information about advanced touchpad configuration.

The final though I have is that under mouse accessibility settings, you can select to have a long left click be treated as a right click.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, you would use "Pointer_Button1" for a click...

I'm not sure that Button1 is left click, though.

Also, keycode 129 is CTRL, if that helps any.
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Hidden!

It occurred to me that users of MacBooks must have a solution for this. One thing I see mention of for them is a program called mouseemu. I've never tried it, but it seems worth a look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you sure your friend's right click has stopped working because of a physical problem with the machine? I've had something very similar with left click following the upgrade to Jaunty. It still works in Intrepid, so I'm running both on different partitions at the moment, which I find very irritating.

Could someone tell me *specifically* what I need to do to make something like the right shift key on my machine work as left click? It doesn't look too hard, but I've been messing around so much on this that it's really affected my work, so I'd like to get someone who knows to tell me how to do it rather than stumbly around blindly any more.

Beans
    Hidden!

This forum post has a specific suggestion for how to map a keyboard key to right-click.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for that! Oddly enough I couldn't get the script procedure to work. Do you think the location and filename are important? I was assuming not, as long as I made it executable with the chmod a+x command. I started off putting the file somewhere else with a different name, and then put it in the same location as in the thread you linked to but it didn't work either time. The script looks like it's executing in the terminal, but doesn't complete.

Elsewhere in the thread there was a single command that did the trick in terminal before I tried using the script with exactly the same name and location. Interestingly enough my regular left click also started working again at the same time. However, I've now repeated it and neither my original left mouse and the new key - right shift - I assigned won't do anything. The shift won't even shift!

Back to Intrepid again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast