Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you need to know about Ubuntu...that will make your life easier!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Things you need to know about Ubuntu...that will make your life easier!

I have been using Ubuntu for 8 months and only last week I learned that you can hit the up/down arrows in the keyboard when you are using the terminal to display the commands history . This is awesome and save a lot of time.

So I decided to create this thread, to exchange tips and tricks that make our experience with Ubuntu a lot easier. I'm posting some things I think is worthy, but please post your own too. This is not supposed to be a tutorial thread, so if you need to post something complex and big, please just describe it and give a link. Here it goes.

------------------------------

Things you need to know about Ubuntu...that will make your life easier!

Installation

• you don't have to install Ubuntu to try it. You can use from the Live CD without affecting your current files
    • you can install Ubuntu from inside Windows, like a regular program, using a nice tool called Wubi
    • having a separate partition for your personal stuff can save you a lot of trouble when upgrading or fixing serious issues

Usability

• on Linux, you don't have to copy and paste a text using CTRL+C and CTRL+V, just select the text and hit the middle-mouse-button where you want to paste it

Terminal (the command stuff)

• when you type your password in the terminal it doesn't show up, but it is there. Just hit enter to continue.
    • you can hit the up/down arrows or the mousewheel to access recently used commands
    • you can type the initial letters of a command and hit Tab to auto-complete it or to display a list of options
    • this symbol ~/ before a file means that it is located on your personal directory (i.e. /home/yourself/) and you can use it instead of typing the entire path
    • most programs have a manual that you can read by typing "man nameoftheprogram"

Security

Backup and Upgrade

Troubleshooting

• you can search the forums threads using Google Site Search, by adding site:ubuntuforums.org after the keywords you want to look for.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; April 28th, 2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Decided to remove tips from other posts and leave the discussion flowing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Things you need to know about Ubuntu...that will make your life easier!

Double clicking the sound button lets you select max sound level and fixes the low sound problem.

When playing back a video you can hit pause and select snapshot to make a cool wallpaper for your desktop from a scene in any video.

If your videos are choppy boys then select turning video effects to off for playable videos.

Beans

Cool post for starting users, well done.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
    Double clicking the sound button lets you select max sound level and fixes the low sound problem.
    Until version 9.04, which shows a "Volume Control" button when you click it once. You cant double click anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kellemes View Post
    Cool post for starting users, well done.
    Thank you. Please add more stuff 8)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

more cool terminal stuff:

history = displays a history of recently run commands

you can also scroll through terminal history with the mousewheel (just like the up and down keys)

command | more = displays the information one page at a time, very useful for commands with lots of output. use space to advance a page, return to advance a line, q to quit

cd - = goes to the previous directory you were in

ctrl + c = stop a running command
    Last edited by Bakon Jarser; April 27th, 2009 at 07:49 AM.
    I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity.

Get better forum search results!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you. Thank you. I'm adding the stuff to the first post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Until version 9.04, which shows a "Volume Control" button when you click it once. You cant double click anymore.
    I am using Jaunty and when I double-click the volume applet it mutes. It doesn't go to full volume though.

Edit -> Also when your mouse is over the volume applet you can scroll up/down to raise/lower the volume.
    Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.
    Windows is like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's my $0.02:

• Making backups of important data is ALWAYS a good idea, especially when trying a new operating system.
    • Read what's on the screen carefully BEFORE you click on "Next" or "Forward"
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags - Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    Never assume that the information provided by Dr Google is up-to-date or relevant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been using Ubuntu longer than you and didn't know about the installed programs list. I always just made a handwritten checklist and installed the programs one at a time. huh, I guess you learn something new every day.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

After finding that history command I started looking around and found out how to search through your command history.

http://www.talug.org/events/20030709...e_history.html
    vague memory

* If you really are uncertain of the history or if you know you could be searching back through many similar commands for one of particular interest, then you can use this more brute-force method.

* Type the following command to get a list of all related commands with their history numbers:

history | grep -i "<search string>"

* Once you've found the command you want, you can execute it specifically by its number using the following built-in history expansion command:

!<history number>
    I finally gotta sit down and learn the terminal. There's so much cool stuff you can do.
    I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity.

Get better forum search results!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast