Thread: VLC 0.9.9 Fonts Corrupted Ubuntu 9.04 x64

Beans

VLC 0.9.9 Fonts Corrupted Ubuntu 9.04 x64

Hello, whenever I started up VLC today, I noticed that all the fonts on the menus were unreadable and obviously messed up:

This is the output when I open it using the terminal:

Code:
    blabla@blabla-desktop:~$ vlc
    VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure  '--build=x86_64-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Can anyone help to restore the fonts?

Beans

Re: VLC 0.9.9 Fonts Corrupted Ubuntu 9.04 x64

The first thing you should try when vlc's behaviour changes is this and if no good then take it from there.

Code:
    vlc --reset-config

Have you changed/installed new video drivers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The first thing you should try when vlc's behaviour changes is this and if no good then take it from there.

Code:
    vlc --reset-config

Have you changed/installed new video drivers?
    No dice:

I have checked my gtx 260's drivers in the driver manager and installed the drivers (although that was a couple days ago, this happened only recently).

Beans

Same here with all qt apps on my default jaunty desktop.

Beans

Found a workaround on another thread, you have to disable sub-pixel-rendering in gnome's fonts manager, just use something else like best shapes.