Thread: Every thing running slowly...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Every thing running slowly...

yesterday i downloaded and installed ubuntu 9.04
    i installed onto my laptop and ever sense then EVERYTHING on my laptop seems to run slower.
    my internet seems to run slower (i normally plug my xbox into the wireless connection so i can use my wifi with it without buying an adapter, its been saying the connection is slower now),
    firefox runs way slower (lots of lag with it),
    one of my favorite games (Eternal Lands) runs way slower at only 8-10 fps normally 25-30.
    my mouse is seeming to have weird problems (like randomly clicking when im not clicking, it might be a hareware problem)
    Also Skype can no lower connect my calls...i really need this to work
    but im sick of everything running way to slow...with XP it all ran perfectly fine.

i got a thinkpad T41
    ATI radeon mobile 9000
    and 512mb of ram.

if anyone knows a way to update something like some drivers that i cant seem to do, it would be very appericted, otherwise i might have to go and reformat back...
    Last edited by BlackRat90; April 26th, 2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: forgot details about skype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Every thing running slowly...

I I ran the glxgears test and it came up at about 800 fps, i read that this could mean my graphics drivers arnt right? is there a way to fix this?

Beans

This may be unrelated but my T41 with a 7500 was very stuttery (especially Compiz perfotmance) after an upgrade to Jaunty until I added the following line to the device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

It just makes explicit the hardware accelleration method used.

Beans

I had the same problem on my T41 with Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000], and setting that option to XAA fixed it for me too. I guessed this independently and then found the forum posts here about it only afterward.

"man radeon" says that the default is now EXA, not XAA, so setting the option to XAA definitely changes it.

Googling a bit, it looks like EXA is a relatively new thing and may still need some performance tweaking. See http://cworth.org/tag/exa/.