Thread: How to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

How to do this?

I want to set up a nice network at home, then transfer and make it bigger when I have my own place. Im throwing out ideas so I can try to price things up and see if its worth it. Here is my idea:

I currently have a wired and wireless router (linksys). I also have a wester digital my book external hdd. I want to add it to my network, and add more or a ubuntu file server to the mix. My idea is, build the server first, pretty much a desktop, with multible hdd, with options to add more when i can. Plug in my wd ex hdd, and get maybe one more to hot swap them directly to a computer if need be. I know I will need a network hub since 2 computers and 2 xbox360 are wired in.( I only use wireless on my laptop if needed) Does this sound right? In the future I may add a media server for my hdtv and to another when possible. Is there better options on how to do this. I hope this makes sense
    I would like to thank all great folks here for the help, and knowledge I got here
    Relax mate,You're not using windows now (and the nightmares are over!)-- WatchingThePain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to do this?

Instead of buying a network hub, get a !Gb switch to future proof your self, other wise your ideas sound pretty good. My system is setup this way:

Cable modem-->Router-->AP-->Switch

The router has 4 ports, all of which are in use plus two wireless devices. The AP is in my garage as I can't get a good wireless signal, it is connected to an 8 port switch of which 5 ports are in use.

My current server is an old computer I got from a former employer, it runs Intrepid server with a 400Gb raid1 array, 1 120Gb internal, 1 80Gb internal and 1 750Gb external for backups.

Jim
    Last edited by cariboo; April 2nd, 2009 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Im so glad you were able to decypher what I typed I read it 5 times and got confused more. Anyways, the switch sounds like the best option. So I dont have to redo anything once its set up. So in my case it would be

cable modem>router>switch> then all the computers connected, correct?

I feel bad for asking these since I was in computer school about 3 years ago, and had a 4.0 average
    I would like to thank all great folks here for the help, and knowledge I got here
    Relax mate,You're not using windows now (and the nightmares are over!)-- WatchingThePain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes that is the way you should go:

modem-->router-->switch

BTW I am currently writing this on a very old Compaq PII 350Mhz/256Mb ram running AntiX in my shop that is connected through the above mentioned network. It almost feels just as fast as the Acer Laptop with Vista on it that I just finished cleaning up.

Jim
    Last edited by cariboo; April 2nd, 2009 at 11:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Depending on how many wired devices you have, you may be able to hold off on buying the switch. Most routers have 4 LAN ports (actually it's a switch built in). You won't need a separate switch until you need more ports.

So plug everything into the router for now, and then add the switch when you need to expand, or if you need to connect multiple wired devices someplace away from the router.

I have 2 switches in my network. One 10/100 switch is in the utility closet, connecting all the ethernet jacks in the house. The other (a gigabit switch) is in my computer room, connecting the machines in that room to one another and to the house network by plugging into a wall jack.

EDIT: You have 2 routers? A wired one and a wireless? You could use one as your router and the other as the switch and/or wireless AP. You would just disable the DHCP server on one of the routers.
    Last edited by kpatz; April 2nd, 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Depending on how many wired devices you have, you may be able to hold off on buying the switch. Most routers have 4 LAN ports (actually it's a switch built in). You won't need a separate switch until you need more ports.

So plug everything into the router for now, and then add the switch when you need to expand, or if you need to connect multiple wired devices someplace away from the router.

I have 2 switches in my network. One 10/100 switch is in the utility closet, connecting all the ethernet jacks in the house. The other (a gigabit switch) is in my computer room, connecting the machines in that room to one another and to the house network by plugging into a wall jack.

EDIT: You have 2 routers? A wired one and a wireless? You could use one as your router and the other as the switch and/or wireless AP. You would just disable the DHCP server on one of the routers.
    Sorry about the late reply. My router is both wired and wireless. All 4 ports are taken by 2 pc and 2 xbox360. In the future there will be a server, a media server, and another pc/laptop in the mix. Right now the only time I use wireless is on my laptop if I leave my room or go outside. ight now Im getting ideas on how to do it. I still need to build/ or ger donated a good pc to make a server out of. Then I can go from there. Thanks for all the help