Thread: fixed /dev/mapper/ for LVM on install, update killed it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

fixed /dev/mapper/ for LVM on install, update killed it

Hi,

So, I have been working on this for a while. I have a standard Dell Dimension 8400 and it has been nothing but trouble.

I got a new Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB drive and want to install Ubuntu 8.10 on it, making a clean break from Windows.

First problem: SAMSUNG SD-616E DVD player won't boot the Live CD.
    Solution: Burn the Live DVD and enjoy.

Second problem: After installation (with LVM following this guide), drive fails to boot citing /dev/mapper/main-root not found.
    Solution: Select ubuntu option from grub menu, e to edit, append irqpoll to the second line

Third/current problem(s):

1. On initial boot, approve all software updates.
    2. On reboot, ubuntu-2.6.27-generic option fails, citing same error as second problem.
    3. Soft reboot from Busybox causes SATA-0 (Barracuda) to not be recognized; hard reboot fixes that.
    4. Appending irqpoll to 2.6.27-generic fails, repeating same /dev/mapper errors -- adding ata1: COMRESET failed! (errno=-16)
    5. On next boots, grub boots into 2.6.27 before I can attempt to boot from the original.
    6. Attempts to boot from Live CD now return ata1: COMRESET failed! (errno=-16) errors, putting me in busybox.

I'm thinking of just booting from the QParted Live CD, wiping the drive, trying again and ignoring the software updates, but I was hoping someone here had a suggestion or three I could try.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Steven

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: fixed /dev/mapper/ for LVM on install, update killed it

I don't know how it happened, but Grub finally gave me time to choose which kernel I wanted to boot with. I added irqpoll to the one that comes with 8.10 and it booted flawlessly.